my 1990 from automatic to 5 speed

DemonicX2C

I'm just looking for some help in what I should put in my car swap wise. I want it to be fast. Your opinions are just a thought going to see what's best and also a pricing average on cost to do it. Thank you for your time.

Mike61096

17 yr. old Integra Modder
Well, since a 5 speed conversion is gonna run you minimum $800, maybe less depending on if you have some parts laying around, you may want to consider where you want your real money to go. You didn't really specify your budget, but me personally, I would do a killer LS/V build. You can easily get a better, reliable LS/V engine built for less than or around the same cost as say, a JDM B18C; which costs around $4k. Once you decide you budget and what kind of build you want to do, whether it's all motor, turbo or swap, I would look at cosmetic details. Wire tuck and engine bay shave, while most of the time purely cosmetic, they both clean up the bay and can make a lot of room in the engine bay. If you really know what you're doing and you can weld, a wire tuck and bay shave wouldn't cost you too much. Chase bays sells already made engine harnesses for tucked bays, but you could do the same with the stock harness. My personal plans for my DA before the wreck were as follows:

Suspension first. Coilovers, subframe brace, lca's uca's sway bars, c-pillar bar, front and rear strut bar, toe and camber kits, etc. and if I could afford them, some custom BBS RS wheels.

Bodywork next. Fix the surface rust that my DA had and push out the one dent the car had.

Engine last. Since my DA was also an auto, convert it to a 5 speed, then do an LS/V build. B16 head, ARP head bolts and studs, CTR pistons with crower rods and arp rod bolts. New spings and retainers. GSR cams with AEM adjustable cam gears etc.

But I'm 17 and live in fantasy land. Once I'm out of college and have a full time job and actually have this kind of money to put in to a car (around $10-15k not including cost of the car) I will. Till then, I'll stick with my bone stock EM2.

Last edited:
Just sell your auto teg and buy a manual one. It'll save you time and money
This is true.

FIrst and foremost, What is your budget and use for the car? It doesn't matter if you're told how to build a 500hp boosted engine or a 200hp NA if you can't afford to build it.

As far as the LSV build idea goes, scrap it. To build it right you'll spend nearly as much as you will for a C1 long block and have ten times the complications and pain in the ass.

GonzoDA9

If you ask me, I'd sell it, buy a 5speed, swap that if it hasnt already, get a Gsr, overnight that s***! From Japan, lol, and go to town on it, get some bolt ons and whatever else from there, I mean a cool Gsr swap sounds the most ideal with any integra and or b swapped Honda, but if your really looking for the most out of your Honda and or Acura, k-swap is the killer way to go, other than that once you get into pricer jdm vehicles, I'd go with a soobie, ms6, or even take it back with a mk3 supra, ahh the possibilities of Japanese power……

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
sell and buy a 5 speed.

Lil mikey's answer is verbatim what we explained to him over the last few months wen he considered this.

things to consider... given the low cost of the 2nd gen integra these days... as others have said it makes more sese to sell the auto and just buy a manual

switching from auto to manual doesn't do much to make these cars "faster" you just have control over the shift point in a manual. People that drive the 5 speed like a hot rod end up replacing their transmissions more often than not unless they have custom built them.

What I suggest is you put together a reasonable list of goals for the car you want to build... if you are looking for a spirited daily car... bolt ons with a 5 speed and coilovers is about all you need.,

if you wanna build a track car.. well I hope you got a few gran layin round for all that.

98GS

When I did it on my 90 ls I used to have, I spent 1700 total. About 1k in parts and another 700 paying someone to finish it. I used a gsr granny with exedy stage 2 clutch and ACT flywheel. If I had to do it again I would have sold it and bought a 5 speed. Too much work and headache. Just my 2 cents