My B20 Teg Question.

Rx7driver4Life

So far what my car has on it is the following.

Car: 1997 Integra LS
Mods: B20B Swap, Spec Aluminum Flywheel, Spec Clutch Kit, Greddy SP2 Exhaust, Skunk 2 Intake Manifold, Skunk 2 Throttle Body, Short Ram Intake, Moates ECU w/ OBD1 Conversion Harness, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, AVID Racing Torque Mounts, Tein Coil overs.

The car drives great. I just blew the trans it seems the case had a leak and had gone without oil and seized in fifth, I replaced it and its back to its great self.

What would you guys recommend my next upgrades should be? I was thinking Cams and Cam Gears help it a little top end. I dont want to do headers for now because the cops harass me as is because of my exhaust which is the nicest sounding integra exhaust i have heard, and quietest at that. I was also thinking of throwing on a built Vtec Head but from what I have heard B20's dont like high RPM I have heard.... could be wrong.

And advise would be appreciated.
Pics for your enjoyment.

7k RPM Shift Light

Engine

Exhaust

Car

Thanks.

98IntegraRS

Get a carb legal header.. like dc sports.

Cams/cam gears would be nice, but you'll also have to replace your valvesprings/seals

Rx7driver4Life

True on the valve springs/seals but would I be better off over all going with a VTEC head? or would a well set up non vtec head be just as good?

98IntegraRS

I would never built a ls/vtec.. there to unreliable.. if you want vtec, buy the whole swap.. use both a vtec bottom end/head.

non-vtecs can make sick power too, especially a torque monster like the b20 :thumbs up

Rx7driver4Life

I have a B20B In my LS as stated in the mods list in gig and top of page :)

So should I just go cams and cam gears on the B20 head? and headers?

mirrorimg

B20/VTEC or LS/VTEC can be just as reliable as B18C1/5's. You just have to do it right and not cut corners.

The reason your B20 and any B18B1/A1's cant rev up to the VTEC motors rev limit is because of 3 reasons.

-The motors dont make power beyond that mark in their stock form.
-The rod bolts cannot withstand the stress of those revolutions.
-The valve springs cannot rebound in time for the next revolution in the higher RPM band.

So if you get some cams and upgrade the valvetrain, youre halfway there. Breaking into the block is required for the rod bolts though...

And you will not make as much power as a built VTEC motor with a B20 or B18B1,B18A1. The heads have poor flow characteristics that really limit their power potential. Doing a B20/VTEC will easily avoid that issue though.

Josh73

is that a b20 head u got there in that pic?

Rx7driver4Life

what should be looking at hp wise with my setup? I know each car is different but any similar setups should be at a similar level any ideas?

mirrorimg

Are you asking how much power you are making? Or what parts to get to increase horsepower?

And the head on that motor is the same as on any B18B1. Its a P75 casting. You can look on the head for the stamp.

Rx7driver4Life

I figured it was a p75 head

And Im doing general inquires top I asked what parts should i get to further along my car now im asking with my current setup what would be an estimate as how much hp i should have.

mirrorimg

You will really benefit by hunting down a P8R head. It will flow much better than a P75 or PR4. And upgrading the camshafts will help considerably with that head (and will help your current set up as well, but not as significant).

The draw back is that the head you have currently has a poorly flowing design. It has small intake chambers and small intake valves. I believe they are 31mm where as the VTEC heads have a 33mm intake valve. The thing that makes P8R heads flow better is that they also have 33mm intake valves. Another thing to look at would be bumping up the motors compression ratio with some higher compression pistons.

The Skunk2 IM and throttle body are probably not helping your current set up, as your cams are not capable of moving the air that the IM and TB are enabling your engine to pull in. It is probably hurting you a bit currently.

Your WHP is probably about whatever the motor's BHP is. So I would venture a guess aroung 135-140 to the wheels. The only performance mod I see that helps in your signature is the exhaust and intake. You have no need for that fuel pump, the 129lph (or whatever a GSR pump is) would have been more than sufficient for your N/A motor. And as I mentioned above, you dont have the necessity for the IM/TB without doing internal work.

Last edited:

Rx7driver4Life

So sourcing up a p8r head throwing on a decent pair of cams and cam gears and get tuned would help some?
I am planing on getting into the block soon enough.

mirrorimg

Yep. That will be the best bet for a non-VTEC motor.

Doing an LS/VTEC will probably net you more peak horsepower though. They are able to run a larger cam profile because they arent in VTEC all of the time. You will lose some torque, but will make more power.

Doing a built B20 will give you a good torque band, but you may not be able to hit 200whp on a daily, because you are riding on one cam profile (and therefore for daily driving purposes, you dont want to go huge).

I will be running Crower 62403's, but would not go higher than 62404's. Those are pretty much the limit on daily, and you may have to bump your idle up to 900-1000 just to keep it smooth.

Rx7driver4Life

That is unless I go boost. Im researching on boosting the B20 and reading lots of good info. From what I have learned so far I will need to address the bottom end looking into new rods and pistons. I want to maintain the stock compression as to keep it street drivable but go with some forged pistons to handle the boost. An other thing is the sleeves I have read they will hold boost but the tune needs to be right on as they are prone to cracking more so since they are a one piece design.

Im sourcing for a p8r head as we speak.

I will be ripping out the motor at the end of September after i finish moving to Miami im in the process of switching cities what a pain. I have my project rx-7 there i will start driving that and build the motor on my teg.

Here is my rx-7