My Brakes Are Dragging!

Prozon

Kris
Well just as the title says.. my driver's side front brakes drag.

When I first noticed this I decided it wouldn't hurt to put new rotors and pads on. When I did I found that my passenger side brake pads were still at like 75%, when the drivers side pads were almost down to the metal.

So brand new brake pads and rotors for the front. But I still noticed the brake drag, I had issues with the pins on the caliper, so I went ahead and replaced the caliper. The new caliper installed- it still dragged. I talked to the guy at autozone and he said about all that was left was the brake line itself. So I bought one of those and installed it.

Guess what?
It still drags!

Other then being able to HEAR it, you wouldn't tell, you can't feel it pull or anything..
(And i'm sure it's wearing faster then the other side- as shown by the old set of pads..)

At first I thought it could be the dust shield I was hearing, perhaps it was rubbing. Took the wheel off and turned the rotor.. it's definitely coming from the brake area.. and like I said, the old pads were worn more on that side.. so I assume it is infact dragging.

Any idea's why it would be dragging?
Thanks for reading. :thumbs up

Last edited:

teggyboi59

95teggy
Sounds like ur caliper is messd up bro.... if the one that wears the pads faster means that ur caliper is bad bro is not releasing when u let go of the brake

Jeffbel

Did you paint it? After I painted mine it wouldn't release, lucky I had a hammer with me so I whacked it a few times and it hasn't done it since

rexpepper123

my buddy just had this proble on his 4dr gsr he replaced both break calipers and didnt fix it. it was the master cylinder. it was allowing for the fluid to flow back after braking so the front right brake would be stuck on. it happened after about 10 mins of driving.

Prozon

Kris
TeggyBoi, i'm not sure if you read my post completely or what.. but I have a brand new caliper. I replaced it thinking it could be the issue, I find it very hard to believe that they would give me a bad caliper.

Jeffbel- No, this caliper is unpainted.

Hmm, the master cylinder could be the issue, I just thought that if it was malfunctioning it would cause BOTH brakes to drag. I read about it last night after posting this and what I saw was the brakes dragging almost enough to stop the vehicle unless under heavy throttle- with mine it's just the left brake, and like I said it wouldn't even be noticeable except for the sound of the brake, and the wear.

Prozon

Kris
It re-used my old bracket, but the pins are brand new. I was going to worry about the bracket, but it really doesn't look bad- or like it does much. The pins seem to be the only part that I would worry about on the bracket, but they are new.

rexpepper123

yeah the master. my buddy replaced both and it messed up his new pads but got them warrentied replaced the master an no problems now

JemmieN

not a girl lol
this happened to me also. all i did was replace rotor, pads and caliper and it was all good

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
It re-used my old bracket, but the pins are brand new. I was going to worry about the bracket, but it really doesn't look bad- or like it does much. The pins seem to be the only part that I would worry about on the bracket, but they are new.
as long as the move freely, ur good to go

klutchDb7

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
Also make sure the calipers are nice and lubed up. Mine weren't done properly and it caused uneven wear and dragging

Prozon

Kris
Properly lubed.

Hey Chris, when are you going to replace your master cylinder? Actually, when you read this- text me. Lol.

mirrorimg

You you are sure its not the slider pins? They move freely on the caliper bracket? I "fixed" mine one time, and it got jammed up again because the inside of the bracket had some build up on it.

JohnnysCashed87

my buddy just had this proble on his 4dr gsr he replaced both break calipers and didnt fix it. it was the master cylinder. it was allowing for the fluid to flow back after braking so the front right brake would be stuck on. it happened after about 10 mins of driving.
thats exactly how it happened. the master wasnt letting fluid back in, so the caliper couldnt decompress. 4 possible problems.
1. caliper
2. brake line
3. proportioning valve
4. master cylinder

start at the top, disconnect the brake line that goes to the side you are having problems with at the MC. try to decompress the caliper. if fluid flows out of the line, and the caliper decompresses easily, problem solved, you need a master cylinder. if not, disconnect the line going into the proportioning valve, and try to decompress the caliper again. same as the MC check. if it flows, its the proportioning valve. if not, disconnect line at the caliper. try to decompress the caliper. if it decompresses easily, its a collapsed/blocked line. if not, you got a shitty caliper. hope this helps, and good luck!