My car died today and is making this noise..

Brett1414

Searching for that 1 swap
New distibutor put in recently and it looked fine to me. My step dad seems to think it was my timing belt ..but idk i figured i ask people who know integras better than both of us

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
Sounds like it's trying to start fine. Like I tell everyone, the four things you need to start a car are Fuel, Spark, Compression, and Timing. Go on down the line and test each one.
- Aaron

Muckman

Not a M0derator
By the ease of how its cranking over Id say there is a loss of compression. Do a compression test to start. Check to see if the timing belt lines up.

91LSVTEC

Sounds like a fouled spark plug wire. My girls 01 Altima sounded Identical to that and I pulled the wires and oil got in the plug chamber and on the wire. I cleaned it and it fired right up then changed the valve cover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brett1414

If its easy enough to fix on my own once i get the word back from my mechanic ill probably just work on it there and drive it home.

91LSVTEC

It still turns over I highly doubt you need a new motor bro

Brett1414

Yeah, how can i find out if my valves are bent to see if the engine is still good? also i just got a quote from my mechanic and he quoted me for $1450 just for labor alone and some additional parts...that doesn't sound right to me i was expecting the most $900 but thats just me guessing...I'm debating whether i take it back and get some people to help me swap it out or just go around asking for cheaper prices.

91LSVTEC

You need to pull the head and then my dad showed me a cool trick. Pour some water on the top if your head where your springs are then watch the bottom side to see if your valves are leaking if it is that's a bad valve

Brett1414

Yeah i checked and it was pretty bad, i was going about 70+ when the belt snapped...well now i gotta figure out whether to find someone locally who i can trust to do the swap or do it myself after finals week...im thinking b20 for some weird reason....

91LSVTEC

I'd say a c5 if you can find a decently priced one or stick with a c1. Mines being built as a ls vtec a1 block c1 head