My car randomly doesn't start. Need help

BravesBaseball

I have a 94 integra auto and about 1 in every 5 times it won't start. Sometimes it starts up after about 5 minutes of trying and sometimes it takes around 30 minutes and it suddenly starts.

Sometimes my RPMs will go up once i start and then drop and the car will die and won't want to start back up.

I replaced fuel pump and fuel filter, the tranny also slips pretty bad sometimes.

Just wanted to know if anyone knows what the problem is Or has had the same trouble.

It's my first car and ive only had it for a couple months

Appreciate any help thanks.

LsTeg97

Power_Hitter
maybe be a bad alternator...or bad ground wire..but then again you said it starts.....have someone try jump starting you and leave the cables in for a bit...then get your alternator and battery checked out...just a start and its free ...:)

enoch723

First rule when you have problems, dont just throw parts at it. If it EVER starts you know its not the fuel pump or the starter. Both will either work or wont, regardless of what people say. Yes they start to go bad, but like I said, if it one day WONT start at all, they check those two

But I would take it to interstate battery and have them check it out. Kind of sounds like it might be a recharge problem or something, I dont know though.

Next time you start it get under the hood and listen everywhere for a high pitch sound like its sucking in air, thats a pretty common problem too. Too much air getting sucked in through i messed up vacuum line.

Donx510

How strange...I had the EXACT same problem just a week ago. I posted the problem on Youtube. What I did was check the main relay to see if that was working. It was, so I went ahead and replaced my ignition coil and rotor. After that, it started healthy and starts up no problem, so no more of that 5 minute waiting game.

Is this your problem?

[YOUTUBE="Integra Starts and then dies"]0aU8eVp5Zdk[/YOUTUBE]

BravesBaseball

How strange...I had the EXACT same problem just a week ago. I posted the problem on Youtube. What I did was check the main relay to see if that was working. It was, so I went ahead and replaced my ignition coil and rotor. After that, it started healthy and starts up no problem, so no more of that 5 minute waiting game.

Is this your problem?

[YOUTUBE="Integra Starts and then dies"]0aU8eVp5Zdk[/YOUTUBE]
Yeah that's exactly what happens to mine, how much did it cost you to replace that?

Thepowderblue

First rule when you have problems, dont just throw parts at it. If it EVER starts you know its not the fuel pump or the starter. Both will either work or wont, regardless of what people say. Yes they start to go bad, but like I said, if it one day WONT start at all, they check those two

But I would take it to interstate battery and have them check it out. Kind of sounds like it might be a recharge problem or something, I dont know though.

Next time you start it get under the hood and listen everywhere for a high pitch sound like its sucking in air, thats a pretty common problem too. Too much air getting sucked in through i messed up vacuum line.
When fuel pumps and starters fail they both work intermittently I would check your main relay or The Icm

BravesBaseball

I'll try checking that out thanks for the advice, I was about to give up and try to sell it but you guys got me feeling optimistic

Donx510

Lol don't sell it! Think of it as a learning experience.

Basically, Hondas usually either have a: bad main relay, bad ignition switch (you have to clean the contacts), bad ignition coil, or bad distributor. It's an easy fix. If anything, also check your spark plugs too to see if you have any spark.

It costed me a total of $108 to fix. I went to O'reillys and bought the OEM replacement parts. I bought the ignition coil and rotor, and adjusted my idle to around 800RPM. The ignition coil is $80 lifetime warranty and rotor is $20 lifetime warranty.

But if anything, you should always go the cheapest route first. Check your ignition switch and try cleaning out the contacts.

Last edited:

jarrod

learning to customize
ok i have a 1994 honda integra vti-r manual and i have kinda the same problem except mine cuts out while driving, like starts first time everytime but if you go for a long drive for bout a half an hour to an hour it will just randomly die just like someone turned it off and it throws an engine light and a code 16 witch is an injector code. but when u go to start it again you have to turn it off and leave it for like 5 mins then it starts again if not it like fouls and shit, so seeing im a mechanic and work for honda i asked the guys at work my forman said he has had a few integras come in with the same kinda problem and he said to replace the main relay so i replaced it today took it for a drive and it did the same thing except now you can turn the ignition off and straight back on and at starts again. oh also the guy befor me had an aftermarket imobilizer im not sur if that is part of the problem. but has anyone ever herd or had anything like this happen ?
thanks in advance to any help :)

festetech

This might not be specific but i have had issues with starting once.
Do you have a kill switch? check to see if it is tightly connected.
Is your starer tightly connected?
Check grounds from the battery and engine.

It'll take a few seconds to check even if it seems not related.