My First Venture into the Car World

decoy

Car Newbie
I'll start this off by saying, I'm definitely VERY new to this whole car thing. I drove my last one (94 Corolla Wagon) until it died and always just let a mechanic do the work or a sound guy install my audio and whatnot, but then a few months ago, I got my Integra. Things changed.

I will also mention now, I don't know very much at all, and I won't pretend to know a lot. I may ask questions, but I will search through the forums almost endlessly first. (I've been reading as many threads as I can manage for the last few months and am finally ready, I think, to start posting on here.)

All of these photos were taken today right after a good wash, and wouldn't you know it a day that had been just slightly overcast suddenly turned into a downpour right as I started to clay the car so I could wax it. Stupid weather.

Here she is.

I'll be honest, I didn't know much about Integras to begin with. I was just really bummed that my car died and that I couldn't afford another one when my dad decided he was tired of me having to borrow one of the family cars to drive to and from school and work every day, so he got me this DB1(I hope I didn't mess that up, it took me awhile to understand the nomenclature, but the topic about chasis codes helped out a lot).

It was owned by an 87 year old woman who took it in for maintenance fairly regularly and rarely drove it. The day it pulled into the driveway for the first time it had about 91,250 miles on it. It sits at almost 99,000 now.

Shortly after getting it we needed to replace a few things (water pump, radiator, timing belt, a few gaskets here and there) nothing too big.

The car was in pretty good shape, the speakers however, were a different story. When we removed the cover on the driver's side speaker, the cone pieces of the cone were falling out before it was fully removed.

Step one for me has been audio. I drive roughly 1-2 hours a day and cannot live without my music.

JVC head unit

AIWA door speakers salvaged from stereo (they have surprisingly great mid tones until I can afford a replacement.)

Yes, they are ghetto mounted with no bracket.

I wouldn't normally put something this big in a little Integra, but the whole set up was $120 on Craigslist, I couldn't pass it up, plus I don't think it will come back out of the trunk.

2 Pioneer Premier 12s, the foam that you can kind of see in the photo is there to help keep the trunk from rattling, we also mounted a washcloth behind the license plate so it would shut the hell up when the subs hit.

Only a 600 watt Pioneer amp, but it puts out some power.

After that I put in some new spark plugs and wires, which by the way was the first time I had ever done anything under the hood other than check fluid levels. (I know that probably makes all of you cringe, but I'm trying to learn)

Up next: my first time changing my own oil and oil filter. Then a new fuel filter. Then the hood latch wire relocation and a fuel cut off switch. Oh, and sanding and repainting the hub caps, they are looking pretty sad.

I look forward to learning more and more from all of the great information you guys share on here, and I look forward to turning this car into a nice, clean 4dr and sharing that experience with you all.

decoy

Car Newbie
Sorry for the double post, but I forgot 2 things.

My other modification was disabling the antenna motor because it was doing that loud grinding noise but not moving and I haven't listened to the radio since the MP3 player was invented.

The last A on my Acura on the trunk broke off, so I went to a junk yard and got a new one (it's off one of a 90 Legend though so the font is slighly thinner, but I can deal with it).

I have 3 questions regarding this,

1 - How do you get the remainder of this gunk off? I spent like an hour with Goo Gone and then washed the hell out of it.

2 - What kind of adhesive should I use to attach the new one?

3 - In the event I decided not to add it back on, what would you recommend to plug up the holes?

red.line

Welcome to the site! :D
That's a very clean DB1 you have there.
I love car audio myself so I understand where you're coming from about needing your music.

Personally, I wouldn't bother painting the hubcaps, I'd either A: leave them as is, B: rock the steelies sans hubcaps or C: pick up a set of wheels.

To remove the gunk, I've heard of people using nail polish remover, heat gun/blow dryer or if you're extremely careful, a small razor blade.
For the emblem, some sort of 3M adhesive would be more than sufficient to attach the new one, or if you wanted to fill in the holes you could use body filler and then throw a fresh coat of paint on the trunk (for those small holes, I wouldn't go through the effort of welding in metal.)
Which reminds me, I should get a whole new set of emblems for the rear of my car, they're all faded and crusty.

Again, welcome to clubintegra, it's always nice to see another Teg on the boards.

chronsolo

MAD MAN
if you use body filler to cover those holes you have to put something (fiberglass) behind it so it won't sink in.

:welcome: pretty impresive for your first post man lol, sweet ride too dood, you're going to love it.

Theasian

Nice teg. Welcome. Use goop to attach the new emblem, and just get wheels. Or paint te hub caps pinks and be ballin.

Rich-PMS

Don't use body filler to plug a hole... Weld it and then do the proper body work to get it all smooth.

red.line

Don't use body filler to plug a hole... Weld it and then do the proper body work to get it all smooth.
Unless he's turning it into a show car (and debadging the rest of the trunk emblems), it's not worth the effort for those tiny holes.
If they were larger holes from a spoiler, then I'd say weld in metal but those just aren't worth the time or effort.

decoy

Car Newbie
By the way, the community here is awesome, full of knowledgeable folks who don't mind sharing info with newbie Integra owners.

Thanks for all the info, I'll have to go get some body filler and a small section of fiberglass when I get paid this week. I kinda like it without the Acura on there, but maybe its just because my old one and this other one from the junkyard are pretty dirty. Maybe I'll polish it up and see if it grows on me.

Picking up a set of wheels is definitely a future plan, I'm pretty broke right now and classes are about to start back up so I'll be getting even less hours.

I think I might go with the steelies for now.

mirrorimg

I have a couple things to say.
First, welcome. Second, i love that you can form cohereny sentenced that dont make my eyes bleed.

Looks like you are getting to know your car pretty well. For the badge, i would take some bug/tar remover, then use a rubbing compound to get the rest off. I would also use 3m double sided foam tape to secure the new emblem, though it may be a bit too thick and push the emblen away from the body.