My new GSR... a few engine questions

kuntrykracker66

i bought a 92 Gsr about a month ago and im loving the car.... however it is already starting to seem quite tame.... when i bought it, it had, coilovers, HIDS, one piece "JDM" headlights, AEM intake, fuel rail, and fpr, "Stage 1 cam", exedy clutch, alum. flywheel, short shifter, "HKS catback" and prolly more im forgetting.... now i know the exhaust is not an HKS nor is it a catback either, so ill assume the "stage 1 camand exedy clutch" are actually stock too....

heres the thing, it has 180k miles, so any big power-adders are out of the question for the time being, next tax season im looking to rebuild/swap/upgrade the motor.... heres where the questions begin....

my goal is 250whp while being RELIABLE and on budget... my initial plan was to use a JRSC, but after some seaching it seems i cant use them on my car (Da? Db9?) because of clearance issues... so im prolly going with an EBAY turbo kit, will probably upgrade BOV and boost controller though to be safe.... and that leaves me with some options/questions

---what upgrades to internals do i need to make up to 300hp safely with a turbo? im thinking rods, pistons, bolts, and headstuds..maybe upgrading the valvetrain too...

--Seems B17 parts are kind of rare and expensive.... would i be better off getting a b16 longblock and boosting it? or what about a turbo b18b (ive heard turbos work better without VTEC...or something along those lines... and where to buy my internals??
*i do understand that a 92 B17 is pretty rare and sought-after, so i would not be getting rid of original motor... just swapping it.

--What about a B20 block with a b17 head? or b18 block with b17 head? what are my options here?

i bought a 92 Gsr about a month ago and im loving the car.... however it is already starting to seem quite tame.... when i bought it, it had, coilovers, HIDS, one piece "JDM" headlights, AEM intake, fuel rail, and fpr, "Stage 1 cam", exedy clutch, alum. flywheel, short shifter, "HKS catback" and prolly more im forgetting.... now i know the exhaust is not an HKS nor is it a catback either, so ill assume the "stage 1 camand exedy clutch" are actually stock too....

heres the thing, it has 180k miles, so any big power-adders are out of the question for the time being, next tax season im looking to rebuild/swap/upgrade the motor.... heres where the questions begin....

my goal is 250whp while being RELIABLE and on budget... my initial plan was to use a JRSC, but after some seaching it seems i cant use them on my car (Da? Db9?) because of clearance issues... so im prolly going with an EBAY turbo kit, will probably upgrade BOV and boost controller though to be safe.... and that leaves me with some options/questions

---what upgrades to internals do i need to make up to 300hp safely with a turbo? im thinking rods, pistons, bolts, and headstuds..maybe upgrading the valvetrain too...

--Seems B17 parts are kind of rare and expensive.... would i be better off getting a b16 longblock and boosting it? or what about a turbo b18b (ive heard turbos work better without VTEC...or something along those lines... and where to buy my internals??
*i do understand that a 92 B17 is pretty rare and sought-after, so i would not be getting rid of original motor... just swapping it.

--What about a B20 block with a b17 head? or b18 block with b17 head? what are my options here?
Every question you have can be answered if you search a little. A B17 is essentially a stroked B16, so forged internals for B series will work. Just match the pistons you buy to the bore you want to go with. Stock bore is 81mm.
Research some.

92gsrboy

if it still has the b17 i wouldnt do anything crazy to it just do a engine rebuild and get yourself another motor to play around with if you wanna boost...b17's are hard to come by dont ruin it...lol

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Don't you dare bastardize that b17 head with a b20 block. You restore what you have and build a separate motor

Cripton805

B20V is not even good stock.

Just get a B18A engine rebuilt. "Its cheap"
and boost it.

I figured I didn't even need to say to now screw with the B17...everyone around here knows my thoughts on B17s. Its sort of implied at this point.

kuntrykracker66

brokentalon- i get that the pistons are the same, but what about rods? doesnt b17 have unique (and expensive) rods?

so ill probably swap it and boost it.....but i wonder... what good is an original, unmolested b17 if its on an engine stand in the corner of the garage?

is a boosted vtec engine a reliable combo? it seems like ive heard there are tuning problems or something...

so one more question, would it be worth the money saved if i went with a b16 with forged rods and pistons and boosted it rather than building and boosting a b18vtec? i could just bump up the boost a lil and that would make up the difference in displacement? sounds stupid, but there is quite a bit of difference in price between the two

Yes,the B17 rods and crank are different than the B16.
You keep the B17 stock in the corner to have the originality of the car there to drop back in if you need/want to. It's so hard to find one these days you don't want to destroy it.

Drop a B18C1 or C5 in there to play with for now, and keep the B17 for when the car actually becomes worth a significant amount of money with the original motor.