my paint job quote..

Catman

So after getting a contact for this painter and talking to him on the phone last night making an appointment for today, I went out today to talk to him. He quoted me $1.650 to sand and paint the entire car. He will be sand blasting the engine bay, painting inside door panels, painting the hatch, sanding and painting the whole car, doing all the body work(which it barely needs at all), with primer and everything. That is his price assuming that I will be pulling the engine from the engine and I, personally removing door panels, trims, and everything else. I have no problem with doing these things cause removing parts is no big deal. I've seen some pics of cars he has painted and he does lots of other custom work like sound, interior, you name it. He claims he's done work for import tuner magazines and street truck mags as well, though I haven't seen any of his magazine pics. He's showed me detailed pics of his work including his body work, sanding, etc.. I also didn't really get to see many close detailed pics of his paint jobs, but mostly his custom interior work etc.. Does this seem like a good deal for a really good paint job. He says it's going to be really nice and smooth with no dents and flawless paint and all, but I feel like I would like to see more of his work in person.. you know like actual cars in person that he has done. What do you guys think?

regardless I will continue to find other painters and get quotes but I was just wondering if this seems to be legit?

Thanks guys.

endo617

Rattle Can Technician
the price is fair, as long as he can back it up and if it chips or flakes off he fixes it after the fact

goofygamer

I was quoted $2500 for the exact same work as you except I won't be painting my engine bay. So you're getting a pretty good deal. Do you know what type of paint he will be using?

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
That is really cheap, I would quote you well over 2k for that exact same thing. Make sure he gets all the sand out of your bay putting any type of paint on it even primer, sand is not fun to sand back out after it has been sealed lol.

Prozon

Kris
Its a texture thing Nerk, you get the nice sandy grain feeling in your engine bay haha.

$1600 seems fair. Some people charge more, some people charge less.
Some people however can't paint lol.

Catman

haha that engine bay stick idea might come in handy while dropping tools in the bay. I'm definitely going to be talking to more painters and I want to see more of this guys work in person and such before I just get him to paint for me. Painting is kind of scarry to me cause I don't wanna spend all that money and get a bad end result.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
One thing you should ask him is if the quote he gave you includes color sand and buff when the paint is done. Alot of times a shop will give you a price just to do the body work and paint the car. Then you pick it up and it has orange peel out the ass, and they tell you "oh its extra to have it cut and buffed"

Catman

What's orange peel? Oh and what is a good quality paint.. I have no idea about car paint so I should probably find out what kind of paint he uses right? That seems pretty important to me oh and maybe there are some primers that are better than others?..

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Orange peel is when a cars paint job looks like the skin of an orange. Most times its caused by the clear coat, easiest way to fix it is to have the car wetsanded and buffed. A good paint shop will have very minimal orange peel in the paint job and will go ahead and wetsand/buff the car before returning to owner.

I have used all kinds of paint and honestly I haven't found 1 to be "better" then the other. A great paint job doesn't really come from the paint, but from the prep work and the person applying it to the car. You can spend 1k dollars on paint and have a shitty result if its not prepped and applied properly. You can spend 300 dollars on materials and have a great looking car if its prepped/applied correctly.

Rich-PMS

Definatly ask to see more work. I'd also randomly pop into the shop and see what kind of stuff he's working on.