My steering wheel turned... My car didn't

Mercy

Milwaukee Phantoms
the question is why?

I was going to post this is the lounge. But I feel like it's more of a technical question. It's been bugging me. So there was a bit of snow/water/oil/ice mix on the pavement. I made a right-hand turn the steering wheel physically turned, but I did not. the car wouldn't stop and I hit a curb. Question is why? It's been bugging me. What would be the technical term and reason?

johnnymass

Loss of traction. Tire no longer can grip the road because of the coefficient of friction is reduced/lost.

Last edited:

Mercy

Milwaukee Phantoms
Interesting... So it truthfully was out of my "control"? I guess I don't feel as bad... She's sitting at the shop right now because I think I might've messed up the alignment. Sounds like I just may need to invest in a better tire.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
Its called hydro planning, and it sort of was your fault. You were driving faster than you should have, considering the conditions. When you are considering new tires, pay close attention to the wet traction capabilities. Not bashing on you, either, just trying to help you out.

j13

Keep It Clean
If your steering wheel turns but your wheels don't turn, than you need a power steering rack.

Mercy

Milwaukee Phantoms
I don't think I was driving that fast. I took the corner at around 25mph... I would say thats around average. But as you said, considering the conditions of the road.

If your steering wheel turns but your wheels don't turn, than you need a power steering rack.
I think I should look into that.

SexySSBP

Kwicherbichen
I wasn't there, so I'll take your word for it :) If there is something wrong, the shop should be able to see it.

adamlee17

1997 Acura Integra RS-S
take it slow when driving in those conditions. I ditched my teg before christmas because I ignored the conditions.

fortyfived

Another things is if you were on the throttle while making the turn that can also contribute to a loss of control like that seeing on how the integra is FWD.

Accel.speed

basically, i like fast!
Haha I slid taking a left turn in my dads accord on ice a year ago.. I was going about 25 and turned left and even pulled the ebrake (wrong thing to do lol) and slid right into the street gutter. Blowing the side wall out of the tire and bending the control arm. Best thing to do is go like 15 in neighborhoods or atleast slower than the speed limit in those conditions. And dont hit the gas or slam on the brakes. That just locks up your tires and makes you slide even easier. Just steer and hope for the best IMO.

98gsrDc2

stolen....
Its called hydro planning, and it sort of was your fault. You were driving faster than you should have, considering the conditions. When you are considering new tires, pay close attention to the wet traction capabilities. Not bashing on you, either, just trying to help you out.
+1...yup...sorry to say it nut def your fault...u were probably going to fast and the momentum of the car combined with u hitting the brakes cause u to continue going straight even though u turned the wheel...door bro...hope the car isn't too fucked up

Mercy

Milwaukee Phantoms
+1...yup...sorry to say it nut def your fault...u were probably going to fast and the momentum of the car combined with u hitting the brakes cause u to continue going straight even though u turned the wheel...door bro...hope the car isn't too f***ed up
It was definitely my fault. That's why I'm still mad at myself. So even though I turned the wheel; the momentum of the car kept me heading straight. I'm trying to put the pieces together from other posts. So by me hitting my brakes I most likely locked the tires. Essentially there was nothing I could've done then. As for the current status of my Integra. It's sitting at the shop. I'm definitely thinking I need some alignment work. But no real physical damage, for that I'm thankful.

eiznekeM

Power steering wouldn't do shit to help him. The steering wheel turned, meaning the tires turned, which means there was no traction because the tires weren't rotating. ABS would have helped in the situation. Once your wheels have locked, you have no directional control of a vehicle, hence why ABS was invented.

As for your situation OP, it's unfortunate. I could imagine you need work beyond just an alignment, as hitting a curb at just 5 mph can bend things, shift the cradle etc. Did it pull or vibrate when you drove it to the shop?