My VTEC won't engage?

98gsrintegra

What could be the problem?

I just got the car
its turbod 5spd. tuned with hondata s200... if ya need to know anymore just ask.

mirrorimg

I sure hope it doesnt, you dont have v-tech.

You have VTEC

Are you throwing any codes? From what I have come to know, low oil pressure is one cause for running in limp mode.

Last edited:

98gsrintegra

isnt if its in limp mode i cant go over like 4 grand, it runs great with the turbo and go to redline everygear.. the vtec just doesnt engage. i just changed the oil today

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Bad thermostat, bad VTEC solenoid, or low oil level are the most common problems. Since it's turbo'd, you've opened up a whole new can of worms but I'd start with my suggestions and work from there.

.Cortez

94' LS
was it boosted when you bought it? >.< are you sure its a gsr?

eg6ie

how do you know its not engaging? after you turbo, vtec becomes alot less noticeable. should check the tune to see if maybe they changed vtec point to help spool up.

98gsrintegra

i have a greddy boost controller and tuned the boost down to almost nothing, to see if it was kicking in and no difference. its tuned on hondata

GreenTeggy

My name is Ben
Definitely check your oil becasue if thats low thats super bad! im guessing your turbo is oil cooled and if you dont have much oil your motor could die! that woujld be bad! if thats not it im guessing it was tuned funny or the solenoid is bad

mirrorimg

isnt if its in limp mode i cant go over like 4 grand, it runs great with the turbo and go to redline everygear.. the vtec just doesnt engage. i just changed the oil today
Definitely check your oil becasue if thats low thats super bad! im guessing your turbo is oil cooled and if you dont have much oil your motor could die! that woujld be bad! if thats not it im guessing it was tuned funny or the solenoid is bad

Reading > you :rolf:

oodie

He said he changed his oil. I have a ls/vtec turbo setup and vtec crossover was not that noticable with a full exhaust once i went open dp you could hear it more. Check everything and if you have to wire a light to see if it is working. Then look for problems afterwards. Has the car been tuned? Any check engine lights?