Mysterious Clunk in Front Suspension

mike5000

I replaced the struts and front strut mounts on my 94 GSR. I'm still hearing a clunk in the front suspension somewhere. I'm not sure if it's coming from the control arms or sway bar or something else. I thought the new struts might help, but they didn't. I usually get the clunk when there's a load on the suspension like under braking or over bumps. Does anyone know what it might be?

meghan-_-

if it is doing it when you first take off after putting it into gear, or as soon as you shift, then it is probably your axles... they are very prone to go out. im about to replace mine

Cman46290

I get the same thing... ive done front control arm bushings... sway bar links... tie rod ends.... and im doing wheel bearings(left front howling), and lower ball joints this weekend.. hopefully its gone after that. Im gunna check strut mounts and struts and upper control arms soon

Last edited:

mike5000

It doesn't usually make noise when I'm taking off from first gear. It's usually from braking or especially going over bumps when I'm turning. The car isn't lowered. It's tricky because I could replace part after part, but I still have no idea where the noise is coming from... and frankly I don't have the cash to replace everything

Cman46290

It doesn't usually make noise when I'm taking off from first gear. It's usually from braking or especially going over bumps when I'm turning. The car isn't lowered. It's tricky because I could replace part after part, but I still have no idea where the noise is coming from... and frankly I don't have the cash to replace everything
No joke... these are my exact symptoms... if i figure out wtf it is... ill post and let you know man~ and i am not lowered either.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
Go through and tighten all bolts. My car does this since it likes to loosen bolts by its self. I have to go through once every 2 weeks and retighten all suspension bolts and the sound goes away. Mine does it too when taking off and braking

slammedtegc1

is more punk than you
lower ball joints. stick a pry bar between the lower control arm and steering knuckle and pry a little bit. there should be zero travel. even if the boot doesn't look torn, shit could be worn out.

mike5000

@Cman46290 - Thanks man. I really wanna figure it out so this noise will go away!

I'll try tightening all the bolts as well as checking that boot.

perez102987

I have the same issue for some reason im leaning more tpward the brake caliper cover it sounds like that is what kinda rattles over the bumps

Cman46290

yeah im gunna tighten everything when i get my tools to my house finally... been storing them at my buddies house since i quit working at honda 3 years ago... i finally moved into a house that has a garage... so hoping to be able to start getting balls deep into all the projects that have been building up.