mystery water leak?

sonicvybe

new driver
I can't figure out where it's coming from but when it rains at night, I suddenly get damp drivers side floor rug, and a small water puddle in the trunk...There is a tiny bit of rust at the back left top by where the hatch meets the roof....any ideas? Do I need to replace the weather stripping trim or something?

mjones73

Moonroof?

Also, there's a ton of posts about truck leaks. The tail light gaskets can leak, the quarter windows and the drainage lines for a moonroof if you have one.

sonicvybe

new driver
Moonroof?

Also, there's a ton of posts about truck leaks. The tail light gaskets can leak, the quarter windows and the drainage lines for a moonroof if you have one.
Thanks...I get this weird feeling it's from the tail lights...the rubber lining it seems to be getting old cause occasional bits flake off when I wash the tail light area...I'll have to test it over the weekend.. :shock:

mjones73

Yeah that seems to be a common one. I had the same problem, turned out whoever put the altezza's on it had them finger tight, found out when I was swapping back to OEM's.

grayghost

Bear in mind that due to the design, water pooling in the trunk can 'slosh' over into the back seat floor boards under moderately hard braking.

I thought water was coming in around my tail lights. I was not. Instead I found the problem where the moon roof drained through the rear quarter panel. That drain has a branch that drains the power antenna. The black rubber drain had years of accumulated silt and was causing a backup. Once it got high enough it leaked at the antenna drain junction.

I took the drain out and cleaned it. When I reassembled I used silicon on all plumbing junctions. No more water.