N/A or boost GS-R?

Primoce

Frequent Blogger
I'd say get BOOSTED... *wisely*... You can boost with your stock internals but you will have to be cautious to keep your Max HP reasonable. For a stock motor I beleive anything between 220-280whp should be okay for the motor to handle.
Besides that, driving a boosted car is so much fun compared to n/a

bkennedy

I'd say get BOOSTED... *wisely*... You can boost with your stock internals but you will have to be cautious to keep your Max HP reasonable. For a stock motor I beleive anything between 220-280whp should be okay for the motor to handle.
Besides that, driving a boosted car is so much fun compared to n/a
I was actually just reading your eBay turbo guy thread. I like the idea of not having to replace any internals. I have very little experience with engine internals, my experience is mostly aesthetics, suspension, and what not. I have the equipment for a compression test and will run one tmrw. What kind of numbers do I need to get from the compression test in order to feel confident in boosting with 5-7lbs of boost? With my project I would be satisfied with anywhere between 200-250whp. Right now I get 150ish whp I'm sure.

bkennedy

Also, I want to use a small turbo. I want acceleration. A friend suggested possibly using a td05 turbo for minimal turbo lag. Are there any other suggestions for small turbos I could use?

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
Well I figure boosting would be just as expensive if not more given my internals should probably be replaced with such high mileage anyways.
like i said, if its running good now i would just replace the piston rings which are like $20. MAYBE the bearings too.
there is no reason to replace your pistons and rods if your engine hasn't failed.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
if you want really good acceleration along with the high end power, think about running a compound (twin) turbo or a supercharger, a supercharger will give out zero lag, and the compound turbo will be a small turbo feeding into a big turbo to lower the lag time

if your engine has 180xxx miles on it i would stay down around 200 whp, if you try and run 250 im sure you will end up breaking something

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
250 whp is not too unrealistic for a stock motor (i think that would be pushing it), but you have a stock motor with 180xxx miles on it, you can get 250 whp out of it and its probably not even going to last a month before it breaks things and you will need to rebuild it anyways

AlexD

J13 sooo mad
Compression and leakdown test will let you know if your internals are safe for boosting. Just remember that there will always be a risk for stock internals. You are putting almost double the power on them from the factory.

Get a good tune and cross your fingers.

purpl3ran93r

if i were you i would stay N/A, I dont know about your budget but getting a "perfect" turbo setup ( as in legit turbos such as greddy, HKS etc etc) will make your pockets feel a little lighter and not to mention your slightly decreasing the life span of the engine