Need Advice

TaintedDC2

Tainted
Hey CI,

So i recently had a rebuild done had put 1,600 miles on the freshly rebuilt engine and had my car tuned yesterday, it made 160whp tuned on chrome

Part List
b18c5 pistons
Itr camshafts
skunk2 intake manifold
cai
Itr replica header
2.5 inlet/outlet cat
2.5 piping to obx twin loop

so kinda needing advice to free up more whp, i wanna keep the setup im with right now because money is tight at the moment, anything little that i could get to free up a lil more whp?

my mechanic said in most cases the engine hasn't fully broken in yet so i need to put about 3-4k on it and when everything is fully running smooth i can pick up anywhere from 5-10 whp.

any infomation and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
u did all that and your only making 160!?!?! what engine do you have? and turbo will get you the most hp for the money.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND
so a gsr? they make 170 stock....somethings wrong with your tune or something...

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Stock GSR's make 170HP at the crank, but only 140-145 at the wheels. Tainted is making 160 at the wheels.

Can you post the dyno sheet, Tainted?

TaintedDC2

Tainted
Stock GSR's make 170HP at the crank, but only 140-145 at the wheels. Tainted is making 160 at the wheels.

i forgot to grab the charts, my mechanic gonna send it to me tmr and i will post them up as soon as i get it.

Tam4511

CI BOOST FIEND

oh yeah, ur right, but thats still kinda low for the parts hes put on it.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
What's your redline?
When does VTEC activate?
Am I right your compression's 10.8:1?

mirrorimg

Hey CI,

So i recently had a rebuild done had put 1,600 miles on the freshly rebuilt engine and had my car tuned yesterday, it made 160whp tuned on chrome

Part List
b18c5 pistons
Itr camshafts
skunk2 intake manifold
cai
Itr replica header
2.5 inlet/outlet cat
2.5 piping to obx twin loop

so kinda needing advice to free up more whp, i wanna keep the setup im with right now because money is tight at the moment, anything little that i could get to free up a lil more whp?

my mechanic said in most cases the engine hasn't fully broken in yet so i need to put about 3-4k on it and when everything is fully running smooth i can pick up anywhere from 5-10 whp.

any infomation and suggestions would be greatly appreciated

thanks in advance
Well it looks like you pretty much have an ITR motor, with a GSR flywheel and tranny. Swapping out the 17lb flywheel for a 14-15 lb ITR flywheel would have helped, even more with a lightened aftermarket flywheel. You can have the head ported and polished for better flow. Have your head port matched to your intake and header for less restriction. The ITR also had a larger throttle body, might want to look into getting one, or a larger aftermarket one.

You could have gone with larger diameter pistons for a little boost in torque, bringing it closer to a 2.0L instead of the 1797cc it currently has. Could have had the head milled more or the block decked to reduce the clearance for more compression. Those are a little too late to worry about now, and would be much more expensive to try to have done.

something aint right are you loosing hp?
What? How do you lose horsepower...

BigMac88

Fat guy in a little 'teg
Better header, more aggressive cams, and a better tune. An efficient header and a solid set of cams are THE most important part of making good power on an NA motor - besides a very good tune of course. Using a knock off header that isn't efficiently sucking out and channeling those exhaust gases, plus a fairly un-aggressive cam setup is hindering you quite a bit. A lighter flywheel and better clutch will help as well. I'd be careful of porting unless you get it done by CNC or by a REALLY good fabricator because it can trash the dynamic of the engine if done wrong.

If you really don't wanna change your current setup you could run a thinner head gasket or deck the block a little for more compression, then retune.

Last edited:

mirrorimg

Better header, more aggressive cams, and a better tune. An efficient header and a solid set of cams are THE most important part of making good power on an NA motor - besides a very good tune of course.
But with what is effectively an ITR motor now, wouldn't you expect about 170 hp?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
But with what is effectively an ITR motor now, wouldn't you expect about 170 hp?
Closer to 165whp, but besides that, you'd need to do all the things in this diagram to truly make it like an ITR motor:

Plus a mild P&P.