Need help/ advice on increasing hp

keanokelley

I have an all stock 2001 Acura Integra LS. The is the first car I've ever built. Money isnt too big of an obstacle either. I just need advice on where to start. At first i was thinking performance cbip, then i found out you don't get 20 hp for a cool sticker. So now im think exhaust. Orrr my buddy was saying i should get GSR headers or head gasket or something like that to male it a hybrid engine. Any input is appreciated. Thanks

justjdm

DB8 Whore
Research and google are your best friend when it comes to questions like this. First of all, how much HP you trying to achieve? If your looking at a small amount then I would suggest header, intake, exhaust, etc. your basic bolt ons. If your looking for a lot, then I would either go LS/Vtec, turbo or even swap the motor out for an ITR one. It all depends on how much you wanna spend and what HP your trying to gain.

keanokelley

Exhaust, Acura, integra, 2001, performance are your best friend when it comes to questions like this. First of all, how much HP you trying to achieve? If your looking at a small amount then I would suggest header, intake, exhaust, etc. your basic bolt ons. If your looking for a lot, then I would either go LS/Vtec, turbo or even swap the motor out for an ITR one. It all depends on how much you wanna spend and what HP your trying to gain.[/QUOTE]

I have been on google for hours upon end. I'm looking for a good noticeable amount. I already have an intake and exhaust kit on the way. When you say LS/Vtec, what are you talkinh about swapping? And around how much would it be?

DC4GoFast

i have a car problem
I have been on google for hours upon end. I'm looking for a good noticeable amount. I already have an intake and exhaust kit on the way. When you say LS/Vtec, what are you talkinh about swapping? And around how much would it be?
Building an LsVtec means taking a B16/GSR Head and putting that on your current block(hence the term LS+Vtec)

Start here:
http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2207108 - Good LS/VTEC discussion
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1676914 - LSVTEC Build
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1812388 - LSVTEC Build price list
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1119323 – A Few Good Links
http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1082172 – A Few More Good Links

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Unfortunately 'hours on end' of google isnt enough to catch you up with a true understanding behind upgrading parts and performance. Especially since youre just starting the learning phase so dont stop the process. Any part you have a question and want to know about can be learned via search. When you come across something you dont get and have thoroughly reviewed it, then ask. Your buddy who said something like put a gsr header or gasket to make it some kind of monkey hybrid is an example of having no idea what hes talking about. Dont be that guy. :mrgreen: Your builds not gonna happen over night and neither is getting familiar with the upgrades.

Start with the basics and look at each part, ask yourself what it does and how it does it. Look at peoples build threads and parts lists and understand what you see. And you need to understand how the parts work together not individually.

To start you off with some basic info per your thread topic.... the foundations of power made is based on flow, both intake and exhaust flow. Increasing one wont be significant without increasing the other.

Last edited:

keanokelley

Thanks everyone.

I already know about getting my air flow all fixed up intake/headers/exhaust ext... But i was thinking about putting a B16 or gsr head on. But my LS engine isnt vtec. And i cant find a thread about that.

96LSteg

Jemel
Look up LS VTEC...that's what it's called when you put a VTEC head on a non VTEC block...do extensive research because if built wrong you will have to 1. Build it again or 2. Buy a new motor all together

uncle geezer

my excellent wife likes the power and sound of the new magmaflow exhaust/muffler and aem cold air intake.
howard at all american muffler said that we could have more power if we increased our exhaust diameter and removed the resonator, but our daily driver integra ls would then be a lot louder - and would possibly become a cop magnet. we left the resonator intact.

headers are a good way to go, just not for my excellent wife's car at this time.

reducing the weight of your car will make it faster without having to add significant power.
aftermarket fiberglass and carbon fiber hoods and other body parts are an easy way to start.

we stayed with 14 inch rims for reduced unsprung weight and a better ride. the konig incident wheels look good, too. most of the really fast integras here in town and in sacramento are shod with light weight 15 inch rims and very low profile tires.

next year i'll be taking the car to a tuner to maximize the engine management.

the advice on this site is very good.

best wishes, and good luck