Need help diagnosing over heating problem

AWWilson88

AWWilson88
What's the best way to tell if over hearing is from the thermostat or the water pump? Today driving up a hill I noticed that my temp was climbing. I turned on the heater and the temp dropped really fast. Help or ideas would be good. Thank you for you input in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Best way to tell if the water pump is bad is to remove the tbelt and spin the gear to test the bearing.
And the best way to test the tstat is to replace it, bc its $20.

72Spitfire

I had a water pump that simply stopped working. It spun fine and did not leak but no longer moved water. How many miles on your current pump? If it's over 95K change it.

The best way to test is to remove the radiator cap and start the car. Let the car warm up and watch for the thermostat to open (water level will drop). You should then see the water flowing. If the water is not moving, the pump is bad. This is not a perfect method either however.

Rich W

Seeing that the temp went down with the heater on, it would seem that the coolant is flowing through the heater core so the water pump is probably OK. I always start with the cheapest and easiest fix first so I would replace the thermostat and see if that fixes it. Good Luck.

AWWilson88

AWWilson88
I just bought a thermostat, I'm working a week of 12 hour shifts so I'm gonna have to squeeze it in when I can. I replaced the water pump like 7 months ago. And it haven't even been a year before that the guy I got my car from changed it when he did the motor rebuild. Thank you guys!!

Nick_C78

Sounds like classic thermostat or radiator cap issues. Don't forget to bleed the system properly after you change the thermostat.

Kamikaze

If it quickly dropped I'd say first, bleed he system, if that doesn't fix it replace the thermostat, then radiator cap, then check water pump. Like said, go from cheapest to most expensive. Nothing like buying an expensive part and it being the cheap part that breaks.

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
When you drive the car with the heat off, coolant will remain inside the heater core, and not mix with the hot coolant outside the core that's flowing through the system. So when you turn the heat on, that cooler antifreeze is introduced into the main system and cools things down quickly, but it'll eventually hit the same temp as the rest of the coolant. That's probably what you saw if the coolant temp dropped as dramatically as you elude to.

Many, if not all, water pumps are made to "weep" (leak out fluid) when they become faulty, so you can identify when they have gone bad more quickly, since a bad water pump can end up being a catastrophic failure for the whole engine. Check for wetness around, or possibly a small puddle under, the water pump area after driving the car.

If your thermostat is stuck closed, coolant will not be able to flow through the radiator, therefore the lower radiator hose will never get hot. It may get a touch warm, but it'll never even get close to the hotness of the upper hose.
If it's stuck open, the engine may take longer to get warmed up, yet can still eventually overheat because the system relies on pressure buildup (typically around 15 psi) to function properly. With an always open thermostat, this pressure can never be reached.

hgocasca

level 77 troll
Seeing that the temp went down with the heater on, it would seem that the coolant is flowing through the heater core so the water pump is probably OK. I always start with the cheapest and easiest fix first so I would replace the thermostat and see if that fixes it. Good Luck.

This +1