need help getting motor in time.

maq

Finally got my replacement head on my car last night. Got everything hooked up and ready except for the timing belt.

I tried using those pin holes on the cam to line it up but the notches on the cam gears don't really line up. Not enough for my liking at lease.

Heres a ruff image of what it looks like from my memory. I can get a picture of it later.

I guess i don't have to use the punches but they sure seem nice to have if i could get them to work.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Crank should be at top dead center, cams with gears should be as close to the top as possible. You don't want any slack in the belt either.

maq

Last time i think i had about 1/4 inch of play in it on the left side. I couldn't get it any tighter.

I didn't want to get it too tight tho. I've never worked with timing belts until now.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
If you can get another tooth you have to much slack, if not your ok. The tensioner should take up most of the slack.

maq

Finally got the belt on last night.

Now i have a new problem. I'm not getting any spark from any of the spark plug wires. I checked all my connections and all my fuses. I found a bad 10amp fuse in the engine bay for the ECU. That didn't fix it either.

What are some other things i can check?

One more things. When plugging the spark plug wires in, the cylinders are 2-4-3-1 correct?

Last edited:

Spody02

Name: Cody
what year is your car? that will make a difference in order if i remember correctly.. and i when i wasnt getting any spark it turned out to be my ignition coil. my car is a 98 and i'm pretty sure my order is 1 3 4 2

maq

its a 93 LS 5 spd. wow, i'm way off if thats the order lol.

My manual says the order on the distributer, but not the cylinders.

Last edited:

maq

Hmm. I would have never considered that to be the order. Thanks for the heads up.