need help, gsr burning a ton of oil

wicked7o7

ill start with saying i drive a 2000 integraq gsr with 150k original miles. i did my last oil change the 1st week of october 2010. car has been feeling sluggish recently. today (1-29-11) i checked the oil stick and no oil shows up on it. my oil light has not gone on. so my question is what can be causing this? i do hit vtec every now and then but its not a daily routine. there is no blue smoke coming from my exhaust, no oil leaks from what i can tell so far. i read that it may be my oil rings or valve seals. any input would be great as well as ways how to narrow down what is causing this. thanks for all your help.

wicked7o7

Dritan, you think thats the reason? no other possibilities of what may be causing my oil to burn? i know that hitting vtec will burn alot of oil

mirrorimg

When VTEC engages, it tends to consume some oil. Saying you need a rebuild would be premature. There are a couple things that could cause you to burn up oil.

- Valve seals
- Piston rings (oil control rings)

You burn oil because is seeps past these parts and enter the combustion chamber. Usually it is because of the high RPMs of VTEC. More crankcase pressure builds up and tries to get out, pushing oil with it. You could replace the valve seals without taking the engine apart, but the piston rings are a whole different story.

I would just keep an eye on the oil level. You should be checking it on a weekly basis. Make sure you dont get that low again. When the oil light comes on, its not telling you that you are low on oil. Its telling you that the engine is dangerously low on oil pressure, and does not have enough to keep the engine lubricated. If it comes on, you should immediately turn off the car.

wicked7o7

mirrorimg, i was think that could possibly be the valve seals and hopefully not the oil control rings. i checked this morning after letting the car sit overnight, the oil on the oil stick is the minimum hole, i will be monitoring the oil level as well and not hitting vtec to see if engaging vtec is what is consuming the oil. is there any way to narrow it down to it just being the valve seals? and does anyone have a picture of where the pcv valve on a 2000 gsr is, so that i can make sure that its not faulty. thank you all once again for your input