Need help identifying parts

Amiguel6

I searched, but no luck. Today when i was looking at my rad hoses, i seen this. I pulled the intake off and it appears to be broken (top one). Idk? Need help identifying these and what they are for/do. They are under the intake and on the tranny Thanks dudes :thumbs up

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Thats the starter. I think the smaller one is the solenoid and the larger one is the ground. Or power, i forget at the moment but u can probably trace that one back to the battery location.

Amiguel6

Yea, it traces to the battery. Do you happen to know the symptoms of a faulty one of the two? Because, i am experiencing symptoms but, i don't know if they are related. Thanks man

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I couldnt go into detail from memory but there is a thread on HT about testing the starter solenoid. Except for a bad connection or corroded cable, the one running from the battery can't just go bad. The thread should help a lot. You should describe your symptoms in detail so someone might be able to help you.

Amiguel6

Thanks man. I just seen the thread.

Symptoms: when i go to start the car sometimes..it doesn't do anything for like 10 sec. And then all of the sudden, it will just turn on. No clicking or any type of noises. Fuel pump primes, fairly new fuel filter, new dizzy, new plugs/wires. This only happens sometimes. Maybe 1 out of 10-15 starts.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member

My car does the exact same thing except its more regular now that its cold and/or simply worsening. I have not completely diagnosed it to a solution but all previous research and experience pretty much leaves the starter or eletrical in which im leaning heavily towards the starter. Every blue moon my car wont start and i gotta pull the ol' beat the starter trick and it just about works 100% of the time. This indicates that it is the starter, over electrical but im not sure which part exactly. The contacts on the inside can be replaced as they do get worn and i may try that or just buy a used starter.

Amiguel6

Yea, same here. It does it when the engine is warm too. Ive never had to beat mine with a rubber mallet...it just finally turns on or sometimes i just pull the key out and try to start it again. I might do a rebuild on my OEM one if it gets worse. Thanks man

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
So, coincidentally..... it happened today. Took a bit longer and almost thought this was it.. but i manged to get it started again. Usually its when it sits for a while but i had just started it a couple hours earlier. I dont think youre gonna get in there with a rubber mallet. I use the Club. I want to do a rebuild too and once bought the parts but decided not to for 2 reasons. Not certain it was the problem and since some have said they rebuilt and it didnt fix the problem. Second reason is i couldnt afford to waste the money if it didnt work. But my theory on those that it didnt work for is that it might not have been their problem to begin with. Probably gonna go the used starter route and rebuild later when i can burn some cash.

Ive had it happen in warm weather too but i just noticed that i think it happens more in the cold. Today for example, its been the coldest week. Contracted metal.

Amiguel6

Wow. What a coincidence. Mine is not that bad. It happens occasionally. Yea, you're right...ill probably go the rebuilt starter route. In case of a failure, ill have the warranty to get a new one from autozone. But, i won't do it until it starts getting worse.

osiris19

Starter. Also, the slow engagement could be corrosion on the wires or inside the starter causing a high resistance. You can pull the starter and game it apart. The brushes could also be worn.

Sent from my Nexus 7

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
I wish it werent the starter for me (or maybe i do cus it could be worse lol) but i have a high inclination to believe it is since beating it helps when other methods fail.

Yea mines prob in worse condition than yours since youve been able to stick with key starts but it really does only happen every so many months. Curious, you said youll go the rebuilt starter route but do you mean purchasing a rebuilt starter from autozone? I was going to replace the copper contacts. Its supposed to be the part that wears out. About 30 bucks in parts.

Amiguel6

I meant remanufactured. Sorry. Reason is because if those $30 parts don't help, then I'm out of $30. I rather pay the $130 for a remanufactured one and if it fails, ill just get a new one under their warranty they offer.

osiris19

I wish it werent the starter for me (or maybe i do cus it could be worse lol) but i have a high inclination to believe it is since beating it helps when other methods fail.

Yea mines prob in worse condition than yours since youve been able to stick with key starts but it really does only happen every so many months. Curious, you said youll go the rebuilt starter route but do you mean purchasing a rebuilt starter from autozone? I was going to replace the copper contacts. Its supposed to be the part that wears out. About 30 bucks in parts.
I had this issue when I first bought my car. One day, it wouldn't start. Had to get jump started. Then it stayed happening more. Maybe twice a week. Then it wouldn't start at all unless I push started it. Starter was today. I spent $130 to get it back on the road.

Sent from my Nexus 7

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Having to jump start it shouldnt be related though.

I meant remanufactured. Sorry. Reason is because if those $30 parts don't help, then I'm out of $30. I rather pay the $130 for a remanufactured one and if it fails, ill just get a new one under their warranty they offer.
Same reasoning but i do believe the parts should work, just not if it wasnt your problem to begin with. Unfortunately we have to try it to find out. Im not down with 130 bucks though. Id rather buy used for 40-50. And what do you think its part of the remanufacturing process? Replacing those contacts. =P

osiris19

Having to jump start it shouldnt be related though.

Same reasoning but i do believe the parts should work, just not if it wasnt your problem to begin with. Unfortunately we have to try it to find out. Im not down with 130 bucks though. Id rather buy used for 40-50. And what do you think its part of the remanufacturing process? Replacing those contacts. =P
No, jump starting it didn't really do anything. It had started the same time we did that though cause my starter was intermittent.

Sent from my Nexus 7