need help removing stripped cap nut from valve cover

so, i was trying to remove my valve cover today. two of the cap nuts holding the valve cover on have stripped threading i suppose, they turn in one place and do not loosen...just turn. any ideas on getting those suckers off? i've tried google and search on here, but all solutions i've found invlove drilling or welding, there has to be a simpler way...

mikenichol123

facebook= mnichol3
they might not be stripped. that nut is threaded on a bolt and that bolt also bolts into the head to hold the valve cover on. try keep turning it and the whole bolt should come out of the head

i know man, the threading on the studs are stripped. i tried turning them for about ten minutes apiece. 3 of them were stripped originally, i ended up getting one of them off and the threading came off with it, so i'm guessing that's what's wrong with the other two as well. how can i get the bolts off as well as the studs? are the studs double-threaded?

lol at noobss
i'm far from a noob, man. i've simply run into a problem i've never had before. i know that something is stripped, and i've never stripped a cap nut like this before and don't know the easiest way to get it off. how about some help instead of trying to be mr. cool

Last edited:
use an impact while prying up on the cover lightly (and i mean not hard enough to break it) and just spin that sucker in reverse till it comes off or out. usually the high speed will get the job done

use an impact while prying up on the cover lightly (and i mean not hard enough to break it) and just spin that sucker in reverse till it comes off or out. usually the high speed will get the job done
yeah, i might give that a try tomorrow

8urcivic

ONLY couches pull out!!!!
i'm far from a noob, man. i've simply run into a problem i've never had before. i know that something is stripped, and i've never stripped a cap nut like this before and don't know the easiest way to get it off. how about some help instead of trying to be mr. cool
i went to cool school for 8 years....so its DR.Cool to you.

have you tried using a pair of vice grips to crush the sides so your able to get it to catch a thread?

i went to cool school for 8 years....so its DR.Cool to you.

have you tried using a pair of vice grips to crush the sides so your able to get it to catch a thread?
Yeah bro I've tried vice grips, an impact, I've tried everything. I'm just going to hack both of them off today and replace all 4 of the outside studs. Those things aren't coming off for anything.

Previous owners FTW.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
X2 you can ues a ratchet too, just pry up on the cover while your loosening it,works every time ;)

X2 you can ues a ratchet too, just pry up on the cover while your loosening it,works every time ;)
haha obviously not every time. i hacked them off today before it got dark. tomorrow morning i'm going to work on getting the cut studs out and replacing all 4. problem almost solved. pathetic that changing a gasket turns into this. thanks for the ideas though fellas.