Need help to drop tranny, ASAP!!!

DC2 SIR G

I have a 95 Integra GSR that I need to replace the clutch in. I'm going by the Honda manuel instructions so far. I've gotten to the point where I need to get the axles out. But in order to do that it says I'm suppose to disconnect the lower ball joint. Well I don't have the handy tool to do that and none of the little tricks are working either. Someone told me you could undo the outer tie rod and just move the hub??? Can you?? Does anyone know any easier way to do this???:cry:

TypeR?

i use a big hammer and pound the lca at the balljoint to knock it loose.
works like a charm ;)

patrick4588

Integra God
there is a easier and less destructive way to do it. jack the lca up utnil there is enough room between the lca and the hub where the ball joint sits in. put the handle of a 1/2 socket in there. remove the jack and stomp on the top of the rotor. that will push the hub down and since the socket is there it will separate the ball joint. works everytime and doesnt damage anything.

lro255

UKDM
there is a easier and less destructive way to do it. jack the lca up utnil there is enough room between the lca and the hub where the ball joint sits in. put the handle of a 1/2 socket in there. remove the jack and stomp on the top of the rotor. that will push the hub down and since the socket is there it will separate the ball joint. works everytime and doesnt damage anything.
I have done it with the hammer before but I think i will do this for my swap ^^^

GoofyFoot

hey guys, i tried to do this exact thing with the lca and balljoint, but i managed to mess up the bolt that the castle nut was screwed onto. I'm probably going to have to replace it, but was wondering what all i would have to get in order to replace this stripped bolt?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Did you break the bolt or just ding the threads? If you just messed up the threads then why not just measure the bolt diameter and threads per inch and go get a die and re-thread it. That is much easier and takes a whole 45 seconds to re-thread a bolt

GoofyFoot

yeah, i just dinged the threads up pretty bad. however the end of the bolt has holes in it where the cotter pin comes through to lock the castle nut in place.

so as long as the cotter pin goes through, i shouldn't have any problem just rethreading the bolt?

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
Re-threading it will be fine as long as you didn't bend the bolt. If the bolt is bent, the castle nut will not go on no matter how good the threads are.

Just go slow when using a die, lubricate the bolt and you should be fine. Also, do not put a die in a power drill! Just run it in by hand till it tightens up then use a hand die drill or a wrench and go slow, back it out a little then go back in.

The cotter pin will still go through. The die will just create tiny metal shaving while it cuts the messed up part out of the thread

GoofyFoot

well looking at the very bottom of the bolt, it does look like it has been bent. So looks like I'm gonna have to drop ~$50 on a new balljoint. But I'm definately gonna try to re-thread before any drastic measures. Thanks for the help guys.

dc2GS-R

Super Moderator
But IF all you did was mess up the threads then just running a die on it will take less than a minute of labor.

If you bent I could see replacing the whole thing, but I wouldn't bother replacing it if I could just re-thread it