Need help with AUDIO

m12pinky

Hello i have a two 12' JL Audio sub and 800watt Performance Technique AMP. I have my battery relocated in the trunk, its a small battery... I was wondering if i should get a CAPACITOR or a whole new BATTERY. What kind of CAPACITOR or BATTERY should I get? I was lookin at a capacitor from BOSS is that even GOOD? Im not goin to blast my sub and speaker to a point where its ridiculous. I just want my car to sound nice. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

100-120 is my price range for capacitor or battery

Last edited:

CJ € racer

i got both in my car but i would say the capacitor cause it helps the amp and gives more power to the amp. as for a boss capacitor is ok. but how much is the one u looked at?

ricardofavela11

i personally think it depends on the set up..if you have a mono amp that powers straight to your subs then yea a cap would be best because it will control the power. i dont have a cap and i have a kicker CVX 12' with a mono audiobahn 1300hct and that shit bumps but i noticed the lights dimming when the bass was hitting. if thats happening to you then yea cap but it not and you wanna get clean ass bass, i suggest a 0gauge wire..that delivers more power to the amp which then makes a cleaner hit to the subs..

but then again its up to you doods..are the w3's?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
Why do you feel you even need a new battery or a cap?
I generally don't recommend caps because their a gimmick, so I'll say battery.
I myself have a 3 amp system that can put out 1020RMS watts, though I rarely turn it up that loud because I'd like my hearing to last beyond the next few years, and all I have is an Optima under the hood. I think one of those for a single amp will be just fine for you.

ricardofavela11

Why do you feel you even need a new battery or a cap?
I generally don't recommend caps because their a gimmick, so I'll say battery.
I myself have a 3 amp system that can put out 1020RMS watts, though I rarely turn it up that loud because I'd like my hearing to last beyond the next few years, and all I have is an Optima under the hood. I think one of those for a single amp will be just fine for you.
x2 with the Optima battery, those are the shit..yea i heard that the caps arent really a helpful part as many ppl think but i would get one cause the dimming of the lights where annoying and bugged me lol

nice on the wattage! :headbang:

what subs do you have? JL?

CJ € racer

idk cause i have a optima battery in it first but still dimmed a lil then i went wit the cap then it just stop and i realize that i got more beat than i last had so i think that the cap dose something at least.

ricardofavela11

yea i think it helps the dimming alot..but if you dont have ocd like i do then get a 0gauge and it will bump cleaner!

the blue cable is the 0gauge i have in my baby :)

engine bay 1 by ricardofavela11, on Flickr

ricardofavela11

yea seems like you have the standard cable... i think its a 12 gauge...idk something like that..what setup do you have CJ?

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
x2 with the Optima battery, those are the shit..yea i heard that the caps arent really a helpful part as many ppl think but i would get one cause the dimming of the lights where annoying and bugged me lol

nice on the wattage! :headbang:

what subs do you have? JL?
Actually I do have one JL 12W6v2. Good guess, heh.
I killed my DieHard in a year, and put up with alot of dimming during that year. The Optima got rid of alot of dimming but not all of it. And I love that I can drain the Optima repeatedly, recharge it/give it a jumpstart, and it's fine. I've already killed it a couple times, not from the stereo, but from not driving the car. I have two cars so one ends up sitting for a week or so sometimes.

ricardofavela11

nice! lucky doode! i want a dub 7 soooooo bad but i know that would rape the shit out of my car! hahaah...

bet it sounds good..what kind of amp?

yea its always a good thing to have 2 cars just in case but yea i was gonna get an optima but i guess they dont make it for my teg :(

CJ € racer

yea seems like you have the standard cable... i think its a 12 gauge...idk something like that..what setup do you have CJ?
i got a dual 10' sub wit sony xplod 1000w amp and a dont remember cap.:???: lol btw yea ur right i do got a 12 gauge i just rememberded it some how.:)

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
bet it sounds good..what kind of amp?

yea its always a good thing to have 2 cars just in case but yea i was gonna get an optima but i guess they dont make it for my teg :(
Let's not hijack this guys thread, you can see my setup HERE.
It's great to have two cars when you wanna pull one apart to do a project and you know you can leave it in pieces for a while, or if one has a mechanical problem you still have a good car to drive and there's no desparate need to get your one car fixed asap.

teginak

caps save your alternators. a capis basically a quick charge quick discharge backup battery. it takes the power drain so your battery and your alternator dont have to deal with the increased load prolonging the life of your battery and alternator. it isnt a gimmick at all. especially with the alternators that come on our cars its no fun changing those out. i worked at a car audio shop for two years and if someone got a system that was over 500 watts they got a cap with it. im running a full rockford system with one T1 12" and power speakers, all amped. my system is pushing 1300 watts. and i use 0 gauge wire because of that. 0 gauge shoulnt be used until about 1000 watts because lower than that and it will actually rob power from your system rather than make it cleaner. if you push 400 watts through a 0 gauge wire youare putting it through about 4 times the wire that it needs. basically think of power as water and the wire as a filter. with a strainer the water flows through preetty fast, but you through a brita filter under it and it just drips out. same deal with wires. 10 gauge wire is good til 200 watts, 8 gauge is good up to 500, 4 gauge is good up to 800-1000 and 2/0 gauge is good for anything above that.