need help with ca registration question asap!

g_steelo99

have a quick question hopefully you guys can help me and my cousin out on. my cousin recently purchased a 00 civic si witha jdm b16 , but heres the thing since it is a jdm engine it has no vins and the major thing is that its an out of state car and he has to register it to the state of CA. My question is do they check the engine vin when they do the vin check for registration and if so cant you just put in a usdm tranny with a vin and pass it like that? thanks

SeanDA9

Your going to need to have all your emissions controls functioning properly, have a catalyst, HO2S, proper working CEL etc. basically everything properly functioning for a smog. I believe the Japanese motors dont have an evap purge solenoid, so you'd probably have to run a USDM intake manifold and Throttle body for the USDM b16 equivalent. If its an OBD1 conversion your going to need to change it back to OBD2 with the proper ecu. I think your distributor also since you would probably be going back to OBD2. Please, if anyone else knows of anything please add on, or feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Or, you could always get a smog hook up and be good for 2 years, or until the cops bust ya.

g_steelo99

Thanks guys. I believe he already has it smogged the thing that he is worried about is the engine vin check at the dmv since its a jdm engine bc he has to register it in cali since it has texas plates. He was wondering if you can add a usdm tranny with vin and they check that off or do they check all ur engune vins or how does that work?