NEED HELP!!! WITH TIMING BELT CHANGE!!! and need help fast

99teg LS

Hey guys you gotta help me out here. How do you get the damn bolt out of the crankshaft pulley? And which way does it turn? Is it reverse thread, your engine turns counterclockwise, you wouldnt loosen the bolt the same way the engine turns would you? I've tried using air tools, I've tried a breaker bar and chain wrench. Goin out tomorro to get a larger breaker bar and Im really stuck, Do you think a torch would loosen it up or break it free? Or do you really even have to pull it off, can you get the timing belt cover off without removing it?

Last edited:

DC2_Project

get a friend to put it in 5th gear and press the brake

a bigger breaker bar would probaly help and a impact gun would be best

99teg LS

DC2_Project said:

Which direction does the bolt turn? Doe you take it off like a reg bolt or are the threads reverse?

DC2_Project

turn it counter-clockwise

make sure you get that impact gun though, its still going to be a bitch with a friend putting it in 5th aqnd holding the brake

PogKai

B20VTEC
DC2_Project said:

yeah or use the chain thingie to hold the damper.

99teg LS

DC2_Project said:
turn it counter-clockwise

make sure you get that impact gun though, its still going to be a bitch with a friend putting it in 5th aqnd holding the brake

Got It!, definately need an impact wrench. Thanks for your help!

aspec

you guys may think i'm crazy but... my buddy w/ a modded out rx-7 told me to put nilon rope down one of the cylinders and then turn the crank shaft until it locked up. I was so unsure but after 5 1/2 hours trying every different method, even an impact, i got the balls to try it. I loaded a cylinder up with nylon rope, locked the engine, and popped it off using a 5ft breaker bar. pulled the rope out with no problems, worked great. I guess i wan't too nervous because I was expecting to have valve damage from my timing belt break. but my valves were fine.