Need Quick Help!!! CV Axle

sportsma1539

I'm in the middle of trying to take off the outer cv joint on the driver's side. I'm replacing the boot and the outer cv joint has to come off. Ive read that you just hit the inner race with a hammer and it should come right off. Well it has not come off and I've taken a few good wacks at it. I got some picks below. In one of the pics i have a screw driver pointing at the area I was hitting it. Is this the correct area??? If there is another way to do it, please inform me.

Last edited:

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Dude you shouldn't have to hit anything. That housings should come off easy. Make sure your mark the bearings if your going to reuse them.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
First, take some brake clean and spray all that grease off, then when everything is straight the outer housing should slide off. You cut the bands on the boot already from what I can see.

jdmjim

nothing from nowhere
usually 1 good whack with a brass mallett on the outer rim of the joint will get it.

Aussie

Zoom-Zoom
Yea a brass or preferably rubber mallet. Not a ball peen hammer like in the picture.

btw, those rat bait traps are inhumane.

sportsma1539

Yea a brass or preferably rubber mallet. Not a ball peen hammer like in the picture.

btw, those rat bait traps are inhumane.
Well on the way home i took it to my mechanic to see how to do it. He had to hit the shit out of it with a hammer. He ended up cleaning it up for me and replacing it right there. He said those things tend to seize up on there sometimes.