Need some advice on parts... noob sorry :(

Zypheris

Ok so i'm almost a complete noob at tuners or really engines in general. i know the basics and what everything is but never done any actual work on mine. bought an acura integra 1993 ls 5spd and i love the car
it has:
- 4 to 1 headers
- cold air intake
- cat back full racing exaust with high flow cat
- stage one racing clutch
- weighted knob and short throw shifter

i'm not just some kid that wants my car to be badass and fast and blah blah blah boom car blows up

i wanna get to know the car get to know the parts and know what the hell i'm doing..

I'd like it to be faster and stronger but at the same time still a good every day driver.

any noob tips? lol i hear alot of things about a p28 chipped ecu? whatever that is. i'm a noob wanting to get un noobed.... anything you guys can do for me? lol

Dfrederick2nd

Just Playing The Game
Only two thing i can tell you spend some time on here look at peoples build threads and GOOGLE. Anything and everything ive learned and know about cars came from Google, YouTube and seeing other peoples DIY and build threads and doing it myself.Half the time once you've done sumthing on your own you dont forget.

Zypheris

Yeah that's what i've been doing Dfred ^^ i just didnt even know what kind of parts to look for without sacrificing too much mpg and all that good stuff dont really know what all parts do what or anything like that xD sorry

Cripton805

You cant do anything more yourself. Mild cams and tune is your best option. Your car is not worth building unless you want to be in the low 15s.

If youre thinking about MPG... forget about it.

Zypheris

i dont want it to be rediculous fast just enjoyably fast and mpg can go down that's fine just dont want it to be rediculously low xD i know its probably alot to ask just wondering what my options are

Blk_DC

Ok so i'm almost a complete noob at tuners or really engines in general. i know the basics and what everything is but never done any actual work on mine. bought an acura integra 1993 ls 5spd and i love the car
it has:
- 4 to 1 headers
- cold air intake
- cat back full racing exaust with high flow cat
- stage one racing clutch
- weighted knob and short throw shifter

i'm not just some kid that wants my car to be badass and fast and blah blah blah boom car blows up

i wanna get to know the car get to know the parts and know what the hell i'm doing..

I'd like it to be faster and stronger but at the same time still a good every day driver.

any noob tips? lol i hear alot of things about a p28 chipped ecu? whatever that is. i'm a noob wanting to get un noobed.... anything you guys can do for me? lol
how hard are they to install? looking for stuff i can do myself?
-first off DIY(doing it yourself) is the best thing you can do.. it leaves you more money to put into your car(or w/e else you decide0.. and it allows you to understand your car; thus giving you a better feeling saying: "hey i did this, not someone who i didmt know that may have done it wrong" There are a lot of integra/acura/honda forums that have articles telling you how to do almost everything to your car.. research before hand.. I saved already in the past year over 1k in doing DIY labor to my 94 integra!

-As the car sits I believe a few of those parts are wrong(might be opinionated..well see what others say).. LS(if stock)should have short ram intake, 4-2-1header, and 2.25 inch cat backt( bigger isnt always better it depends how much power your putting out.. other wise you will loose possible HP..) BUT its always good to go bigger that way you can increase mods and not have to go through more than one exhaust!

-Car parts need to work as a team.. make sure you purchase parts that all work together to increase the goal/power band/performance that your are looking for.. Dont buy the most expensive or go by advertisements..

-research every part before purchasing/see reviews on forums/websites.. make sure thats what your wanting.. you dont want to waste money.. research and find the best price(I like to go used on my stuff that way you can get a better resale value.. but some stuff would be better to go new)

-Best mod for anyone especially someone new.. LEARN HOW TO DRIVE! even if you think you know you dont! Practice practice practice! PRACTICE PERFECT PRACTICE! lol I've seen a lot of looser loose because of there driving..

-look into suspension (shocks/spring & coilovers), lighter rims, better gripping tires, motor mounts or inserts.. this will help with traction and getting the car forward quicker and more efficiently

-theres many ways of gaining power force induction(nitrious, turbo, surpercharger) or Naturally Aspirated- N/a and hybrid engines, swaps... for ls engines most of the time turbo is the most best bang for your buck setup its easy to hit 13 or faster with just a few thousand if you do it correctly.. or ls/vtec(b16/itr/gsr head on ls block)

-as you gain horsepower you need to increase a higher torque rating clutch(which you already have).. your a lighter flywheel that while help assist in acceleration

-You need to find what your goals are with your car.. looks? DD/daily driver? auto-x/track? drag? all in one lol? from there find your goal within that will help decide what you will need.. then give your self a reasonable budget(cant build a 10sec car with 2k lol) do you want a hp/trq number? a sepcific 0-60 time? 1/4et time? Where do you want your power band? low end? high end?

I probably mentioned more than you wanted, I might not even answered what you ask lol if anymore questions feel free to ask.. but try to research first theres A LOTTT OF INFO OUT THERE!.. I was were you were at one time.. still to this day only a year or so later theres still a lot to learn!

just remember this!

Pick 2 cheap/fast/reliable but keep in mind:
Cheap + Fast DOES NOT = Reliable
Fast + Reliable DOES NOT = Cheap
Reliable + Cheap DOES NOT = Fast

also where are you located?

Last edited:

dan_in_ag

CAHLEAN!
A general rule to remember: the more you build, the more your gas millage will go down, and possibly reliablity. Just do ALOT of research before you buy/install parts. Good luck!

Zypheris

reliability and fast which doesn't equal cheap. gonna build over time ya know all that. and not really looking for track. just DD and ya know... someone pulls up beside me then their watching my tail lights drive out of view. and i'm located in northeast TN you guys are really awesome glad i found this site i can tell you guys are here to help and compare all that good stuff.

i've been looking for some aluminum flywheels which you mentioned and looks/sound is not really what i'm worried about but setting up 2 different budgets so it doesnt matter that much. DIY is what i'm interested in and those professionals are my family so even if the professionals do it i'll get alot of hands on ^^

Zypheris

oh and the 4-2-1 headers are megan headers not factory. sorry i didnt specify
and the intake/filter is Injen

Prozon

Kris
So are you planning to build this motor naturally aspirated?

I know it's expensive, but my vote is always for boost. :thumbs up

1qikteg

can you boost the stock engine? if not what all would i need to do to it before i boost it
You could but it depends on the motor. how many miles? do a compression test. and if you do boost it only moderate boost 6-7psi daily wouldnt be a bad thing.. but if your looking for big numbers you would need to build the engine with better internals and stuff.

DaddyBuiltRacing

Resident Asshole
my vote goes to suspension/tires/brakes. What good is power if you can't control it, get it to the pavement or slow it down at the end of the ride