Need some help, car starts then dies..

dylan spare

1995 acura integra Special Edition
237k miles
5 speed.

Car has been running fine, but a few times lately I have started the car and then it immediately dies. I then re-attempt to start it and it starts up fine and drives fine. this has happened a few times now, does anyone know what the problem could be? One thing I have noticed that may help diagnose the situation is that the ignition seem to be sticky (difficult to turn the key)....

thanks for the help

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
pardon my punctuality, im typing with 1 hand (holding my tea with the other).

i dont think its the ignition because that just sends out an electric signal. once that signal has been sent, it doesn't need to be on. i would check the dizzy, plugs, plug wires, all that fun stuff. you might be losing spark.

does it putter then die, or make any weird noise when it dies? or does it just sound like you turned it off normally?

Cman46290

Yeah.. check the basics first... fuel filter, air filter, plugs, wires, Dizzy.... ect ect... then let us know what you find

BroskiLS94

Yeah mine is doing the same thing and it had done the same thing on my old 240sx and I changed the fuel filter and ran like a champ, im goin to be chaning mine out today and will let you know how it works.

dylan spare

hey, when it dies it doesn't make any strange noises, its as if I just turned the car off. absolutely no sputtering.

Imcirrus3

then it sounds like a spark issue make sure all you plugs are firing and if they are re-set the ecu (disable the neg - battery wire for 5 min or so) then it should be fine

dylan spare

whats the best way to actually check the spark plugs to make sure they are firing short of replacing them?

B18_?

could be your fuel filter or maybe fuel pressure regulator actually check if it aint spittin out the fuel wen your turn the key have sumone turn the key wen your lookin at it..or if not check the the fuel pump it might be shorting out somewhere and it killin your fuel to the engine..idk it could be a couple of things but it sounds like its mechanical not electrical meaning your key prob doesnt haave nothing to do with it... keep us updated if anything works

NorthEndGhost

Not sure if agree with these kids saying no to the ignition... I had a prob like yours & it was the ignition. Try jiggling the key when it starts to die & see if that does anything. When my ignition finally went, I had to drive with my hand on the key in the starting position...:???:

dylan spare

Not sure if agree with these kids saying no to the ignition... I had a prob like yours & it was the ignition. Try jiggling the key when it starts to die & see if that does anything. When my ignition finally went, I had to drive with my hand on the key in the starting position...:???:
I think you may be on the right track, because if i was having spark issues wouldnt that be noticable during actual driving and not just for starting? also every time without failure, when the key is difficult to turn, it dies right after I start it. What could caust the ignition to be like this? is there any way to fix the problem or do i have to buy a new ignition? thanks !!

dylan spare

okay I have pretty much confirmed its something with the ignition. The other day I had hold the key forward after turning it for about 3 seconds or it would die....does anyone know what exactly I need to do to fix this problem? replace the whole ignition piece where the key goes???? thanks

Knice

Live & Die by Integras
Might be the IGNITION COIL...my dies on me randomly off and on while driving and it finally went out couldn't get it to start...it cranks but no start. Replaced the IGNITION COIL yesterday and started right up.

dylan spare

how can I determine whether or not its the ignition switch (where the key goes lol), or the distributor, or the ignition coil?