need some help with my clutch

G33k

ok i looked around and saw a post similar to what i need help on.. but its slightly defferent
so heres the story.... i bought my car a month ago its a 1990. it had grinds in 2nd 3rd and 4th gears but only after the car warmed up
the guy who sold me the car said it was only the car so i purchased an oe exedy clutch and fidanza flywheel
when we removed the installed clutch it was totally wasted. after the mechanic finished the job the clutch pedal was super soft... much softer than i had felt in any of my friends hondas... so i took it out for a spin about 5 mins into the drive i started to feel little nicks in 3rd and 4rth gears... as i got closer to completing the 500 mile break in period the grinds became worse and now it grinds in the same 3 gears as it did when i bought the car... also before i changed the clutch i could hear a spring pop sometimes when i would push in the clutch. since i changed it i have only heard it about twice but not as loud

my first thought was maybe the mechanic left the clutch cable too loose and it wasnt disengaging all the way when i pushed in the clutch
then someone told me it could be the synchros or the clutch cable is bad
i have no idea what the spring noise could be though
any advice or help would be appreciated... sorry for this huge novel haha

jenktj93

well im guessing the spring pop is the spring on the pedal itself . take a look under the dash and check.. when the cable is bad you will feel the spring as it pops the pedal back to the upright position however you will not feel it when the cabel is operating correctly..
check the clutch cable its easy to adjust. look for the space between the battery and the distributor wires there is a black screw for the clutch wire adjustment just turn it and check the pedal .. the mechanic was suppose to adjust it correctly. do a search of the exact specifications of clutch pedal height and disengagement..
careful when driving with bad adjustment you could ruin your clutch

curious about how much you were charged for the clutch labor.

G33k

yeah i have tried adjusting the clutch... i had tightened it all the way and slowly started loosening it up from there.. untill i found a spot wich felt just about right... it used to grind when i would throw it in reverse and now not as much

as for the labor he charged me 250... after i saw how its done i should have done it myself... doesnt look too hard

300zxkid

it's not that hard a lot better then rwd did the clutch in my z last summer what a pain lol

RWD is much easier IMO...

sounds like either a bad release bearing or a bad clutch.. Hopefully by now u have not junked the trans though :(

300zxkid

idk i had to do it on jack stands not much room to move around but love my 90 zx love my wife 91 teggy too

G33k

idk... its a tough one
i think im going to just end up buying a new transmission and clutch cable... that way i shouldnt have any worrys about grinding when i replace the clutch again and it does seem like it could be the synchros because it grinds in the same gears as before