Need to replace one of my HID's

Joshmmc

One of my HIDs burnt out, so I'm looking to buy a new kit. I want to do a purple theme with my car, so I want the HIDs to be purple. How many Kelvins will give the most deep purple look? Some things I've read indicate that 10k is purple, some sources claim the purple doesn't come out until between 14k and 30k.

Does it make a difference what size the bulb is that I buy? Will only certain ones fit? Nothing on my current HID bulbs indicates the size of them, so I don't know what to go with.

Where can I buy a cheap set of deep purple HID's? I don't care about a warranty or a guarantee or anything because I just want to play around with cheapees. I'll probably get bored or smarten up and change them fairly soon, haha.

Paulb

user
i wanna say 12000k is purple. and you have to get the same bulb style as the factory bulb or it wont fit

Kiss My ASS

U know the higher Kelvin u go, the less visiblitily u have. Plus u might be a high target for law enforcement. Something to think about.

Joshmmc

The two inside lamps on my car are run of the mill hi/lo 9005 bulbs. They are my day time runners and my Hi-Beams. The outside two lamps are currently the HIDs. The HIDs are only on when I want them to be. I have suffiecient light with or without them, I just want them for the show value for the occasion. (Call me a ricer)

What is the stock bulb size for the outside projectors? I think the insides are 9005 or 9006, but these current HID bulbs don't have even close to a similar shape to the inside ones.

If I match a new 14000k bulb to my old 6000k ballasts, will the bulbs shine like 6ks?

Can you buy HIDs that are simply tinted colours the same way that other bulbs are? Why do HIDs have to be so confusing to get in a specific colour?

Last edited:

Joshmmc

What if I just skipped HID's altogether and bought basic halogens with purple tint? How much different is it than having HID's?

Robbdance

Straight Pipes
the stock lowbeam bulbs are 9006s, highbeams/DRLs are 9005.
Get HIDs for sure, just make sure they're within the legal area.. a friend of mine has 12000Ks and I think they're borderline illegal.. Stick with the generic 8000K, or go for the 3000k for yellow which looks absolutely insane.. and may go well with a purple colour scheme.

Gorveatt

I <3 HID
4200k > All, the ballast do not effect teh color temp, it's the bulbs only, and as the experienced HID user let me say that 12000k will actually give you less light output then Sylvania Silverstars

Last edited:

Joshmmc

Just noticed my current bulbs are actually 8000k's. If I buy some 15000k's and put them on, will they be purple? Or is the ballast different for each different Kelvin rating?

Patchezz

(///_-),.I..
the ballast do not effect teh color temp, it's the bulbs only
the ballast is only there for the initial voltage so your HID's light up, the color of the HID depends on the gas inside that bulb and how hot it burns (8000k, 15000k, 30000k) your current ballasts will work with any HID bulb you put in there

Robbdance

Straight Pipes
I can't stress enough that they're probably illegal.. I get hassled all the time for my halos alone.. make sure you check your local laws to make sure you don't end up spending money on the bulbs just to have to spend money on tickets & replacement bulbs..

Joshmmc

I know they're illegal. i've been pulled over before. I'm not going to run around all day with them on. Just occasionally. Thanks for all the info, guys.

Rich-PMS

Why buy lights that don't give you good visibility? Might as well put duct tape over them and drive around at night...