New Altenator Pulley Flies off!

bthomas5207f

About 2 months ago I put a new altenator on my car. All was going well and I drive it several thousands miles. At the time I put a new belt on as well. The new belt did start squeling a bit, but thought nothing of it al it stopped as soon as I started to move.

However....

The other day driving down the Highway the belt comes flying off. I pull over to find out that the nut had come off holding the pulley on and the pulley had come loose and thrown then belt.

The altenator was a reman unit I bought from Autozone with a liftime warranty.

A day before all this happened I noticed that the altenator seemed noisey ands was worried that the noise I was hearing where the bearing in the pulley going.

My question is this. Has anyone had this happen before? Did I just get a bad part from Autozone or did I somehow over tighten the belt causing this all to happen?

I am replacing the altenator tomorrow with another one covered under the warrenty and just would like so ideas before this happens all over again!

Thanks!

Nick_C78

Autozone parts are crap. Simple as that. I always have issues with stuff I buy from them. A buddy of mine bought a faulty alternator from them before, nothing flew off, it just wasn't charging his battery.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Ive gone through 4 reman'd AZ alts on two Integras. Last one had less than 500 miles on it and died on the dyno. I replaced it with a used OEM alt, works mint.

You're locked in because of the warranty. Just get the free replacement alt and hope it doesnt happen again.

djzachtyler

Looking for my next Teg..
Agreed on autozone parts being crap...

As far as the pulley issue make sure you are not over tightenin the belt... when you set the alternator it just needs enough tension to be able to turn. I learned that with my 2nd Gen prelude... after it chewed thru a couple belts and tossed the pully, I realized it was cause I was over tensioning the belt.

Last edited: