New car . New driver . Need some questions answered plzz

lev8177

Hey guys. Im just learning to drive manual tranny on my 96 teg b18b.

Was just wondering when i start my car it bounces from 1k-1.5 rpm then stops after a while. Is this normal? Im guessing the engine just needs to warm up. Need to make sure.

Also when i start from a dead stop in 1st the car either takes off really fast (spinning) 3k rpms. Can someone explain how to start the car ? Or chokes .. I cant find the word to explain. But u know what i mean.
I hardly tap on the gas, its hard to rev 1.5-2. Its so sensitive

I know im also burning the clutch in 1st revving up to 3.5k taking off.. Im slowly letting off the clutch or else it just takes off really fast. About 4 secs til fully released.
Is that okay for the first couple of tries? Im worried its a major issue wearing out my new clutch. I can smell it afterwards. The clutch can handle that abuse ?

After 1st theres no problem at all

Thanks for your time !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ganyon

Just keep practicing. The idle thing sounds normal. As long as it drops to around 750 when its warmed up, I wouldn't worry about it.

lev8177

Yea the idle drops to 1k. But what im worried bout is burning my clutch

lev8177

I just got a brand new exedy replacement. Maybe im exaggerating but i smell something burnt. Just need to be reinsured that it can take that abuse or not

Ganyon

Can you let it out any faster without stalling? I learned on a bmw we used to have and it took me about 3 months to finally figure it out. Granted I only drove it about an hour a week.

Ryan659

You'll get the gas to clutch position eventually. You'll also learn the point as to when releasing the clutch actually starts to engage the gear. Once you get that position down you just need to learn how much gas to give at each moment in the whole process. You don't need to be at 3k when releasing the clutch so just ease off the gas a bit, then start releasing the clutch, when you feel it start to engage start giving it more gas as you continue to release the clutch. 2k starting the release of the clutch should give you better results.

Don't worry about slowly releasing the clutch but 4 seconds is a really long time. Try a few times to learn the clutch, don't worry about stalling it. You just want to get to know the clutch

DonJulio

Reppin' tha NW
When driving a stick, finesse is really crucial to success. Yea you can slap it around but it can only take so much.

If you have a brand new clutch you need to break it in.

It's best to learn on a clutch that's already broken in.

A new clutch can be destroyed fast if your always accidentally launching it.

What you need to get familiar with is the bite point of the clutch pedal, when you can feel the clutch actually work as the clutch pedal is depressed.

If you can't get the car to rev to 1500-2000 rpms I suggest giving your throttle cable some more slack to compensate for your heavy foot.

lev8177

Thats all great advice. Thanks a lot for taking the time. My homie just sits there and say just get the hang of it lol..

Instagram @an3x1er

Ls Vteg

All I know is when I got my teg I thought the same thing. Mine has an aftermarket racing clutch and an 8lb flywheel which makes it even worse
But you learn to drive it, I literally have to use my big toe inside my shoe to take off without letting my whole neighborhood I'm leaving for work

tamboo

cheap@ss
you do have to let off the clutch a bit slower in first as you give it more gas,
not so much in the other gears.
and never touch the stick unless the clutch is pressed down first.
some folks think you can take it out of gear w/o pressing the pedal.
not a good idea.

JordanB21

Essentially the first gear is the 'moving' gear. Once you're going even a tiny bit you can them immediately shift into 2nd gear which I recommend..

So what I mean is, next time when you're driving, revving too high and riding first (1.5k or so) just tap the clutch a half bit and press the gas, the moment you're going like 3-5 mph shift into 2nd and go from there.
1st is nice for hard pull ifs, but its better to accelerate in 2nd and it wont be so harsh.