new engine

gsr_boarder

i fucked up my engine recently and one of my pistons compression read 70 so the shop techys said i need a new engine or a rebuild and i was wonderin if u fellas think its worth the money cuz we've put like 10 grand into this 96 gsr just to make it drivable because it had problems from the get go...lookin to drop a brand new b18c1 into it....

g3teg97

Super Moderator
You could get a B18C1 for around $3 - 4,000. Isn't that a little too much just to make it driveable?

Regulator23

what shop told you this?? are they going to be selling you the engine... alot of times... especially places affilated with honda and such will tell you things are much worse than they are...or will charge you for a brand new motor because they cant warranty the rest of the motor or some bs like that... just make sure everything is legit before you just dump a motor with 10k of parts in it...that would be a waste...

nefesto

does the engine run at all? you might get away with just rebuilding the bottom end! what else did the mechanic say besides one piston has very low compression? what were you doing when you fucked up the car? was it a rebuilt motor, how many miles? just curious

gsr_boarder

it has 78000 on it but i just got word today that they are gonna rebuild it....my dads payin for all new pistons, crankshaft, bearings everything other than the block cuz they tried chargin us 6-8 grand for a new engine....they said their gonna bore out the block to fix any problems with it so i was wonderin if any of u know how much the bore will help out with power...say i were to be at 2.0 instead of the stock 1.8 .....

nefesto

it would definetly help out. how will it help i dont know exactly. but your uping the displacement so your horsepower and torque numbers will go up!

209SpoonDC2

That's way too high! Labor alone I could have done for $1000 on the rebuild. Then the whole Spoon engine kit is only $1,200. That's only $2,200!!!!! Go somewhere else!!!!!