New gsr

mattmid

So i just purchased a 1995 gsr, with 145k on her. shes a little beat up but not terrible for a daily. i have a ton of questions but will start with just a few, ill get pictures of some stuff that i need help with.

my list of needs is already pretty long but must haves are:

front bumper: feels like its barely on and the lights are not fully seated and kinda hanging. any mounts i need to check or info on this?

axles: both are torn, do i need to worry about transmission fluid?

mounts: im missing 2/3 bolts for my transmission mount. is it worth upgrading mounts or just swapping inserts? and where can i find these bolts? who has decent mount inserts?

clutch: is there a way to adjust the clutch? its very...grabby and not fun at all. im new again to manuals after 5 years of autos...but my buddy who drives alot of performance manual cars said it didnt feel right, very shaky and rough clutch feeling.

rack pinion: boots are torn off, should i put new boots on or replace rack?

oil leak: somewhere on head, previous owner thinks cam seals but im unsure of that...is it worth trying cam seals? or how hard is pulling head and resealing?

lots of exhaust popping...its got a cat but no muffler, im gonna put a muffler on that should help?

tune: whats good tune? im newish to the scene, ive heard or chrome and hondata?

i have a ton more questions and need a lot of interior/exterior parts...

thanks for any help
Matt

Peeples

front bumper: feels like its barely on and the lights are not fully seated and kinda hanging. any mounts i need to check or info on this?

I would personally take off the front bumper and look at lights, move them around, see where they have play, look and make sure all the bolts are there etc... (Google how to take off 96 integra bumper) May feel lie bumper is barely hanging on due to missing clips and/or bolts.

axles: both are torn, do i need to worry about transmission fluid?

- Transmission fluid has nothing to do with the axle boots being torn, but it would be a great idea to change all the fluids in the car. (Oil, transmission, brake, power steering, clutch)
- Advanced auto has lifetime warranty axles for around $60 I think, google a DIY on how to change them), make sure to keep receipt for anything you buy at advanced with warranty's.

mounts: im missing 2/3 bolts for my transmission mount. is it worth upgrading mounts or just swapping inserts? and where can i find these bolts? who has decent mount inserts?

- If the rubber is broke and busted I would just take it off. You dont really need to replace it, you can google to find aftermarket one or go OEM from an acura dealer.

clutch: is there a way to adjust the clutch? its very...grabby and not fun at all. im new again to manuals after 5 years of autos...but my buddy who drives alot of performance manual cars said it didnt feel right, very shaky and rough clutch feeling.

- Couldnt tell you, have another member who is more experienced tell you.

oil leak: somewhere on head, previous owner thinks cam seals but im unsure of that...is it worth trying cam seals? or how hard is pulling head and resealing?

- Picture of leak :D

lots of exhaust popping...its got a cat but no muffler, im gonna put a muffler on that should help?

- Yes, you need a muffler. you are referring to the end of the exhaust correct?

tune: whats good tune? im newish to the scene, ive heard or chrome and hondata?

- Why would you want a tune for a completely stock car?

i have a ton more questions and need a lot of interior/exterior parts...

thanks for any help
Matt[/QUOTE]

Peeples

Now that I look at your picture, your bumper is missing almost all the screws that screw into the top of the bumper. they are black with Philips head screw driver pattern. Looks like you are also missing a tab on the left side of the bumper that bolts into the frame.

Do you know if this car has been in an accident?

mattmid

It was in a rear end accident, the guy said he took off the bumper alot and has the rubber tie knobs on the sides of the bumper.

It's a flowmaster catback, with a obx header but he cut out the muffler so I just need to put a new one on the back with a tip.

I will Definitely take pictures of the leak tomorrow, and I'm going to probably take the bumper off and try to find those bolts at a junk yard.

mattmid

So i need the bolts for the Transmission mount. Number 6 is the tranny mount, and i have 46...looks like the other two labeled m2 are studs?

Then i need 7,6,2 and 5? im just missing the driver side but rather just replace all for looks...

Then i need 51? and the other bolts? ill pull it apart and check what im missing

Russell D

You do need your transmission mount! the mount the other guy was referring to is three front mounts, one is on the transmission and one is on the engine block.

As far as the missing bolts, if the studs are still in the transmission you can just get the nuts, but it's common when removing them that the studs come out as well, if that's the case just use bolts! If that mount is not solid and secure I would highly recommend you not drive the car; That mount and the one by the timing belt hold the weight of the engine! Those two are very important.

Russell D

The clutch is not adjustable, you can try bleeding it, but unless there's a bubble nothing will change.

Russell D

What bolts would replace the studs? Bolt 46?
I believe so, I'm pretty sure that one hole is not as deep so would require a shorter screw, but it's been so long I'm not positive!

And for the last picture, the screws for the front bumper, I would just bring one to the hardware store and get Allen button head screws, it would be much cheaper and if the screws rust inside the radiator support you have a better chance at getting them out!

mattmid

I'll post some pics of everything I found, but pretty much need entire new bumper support and radiator support stuff. Bumper was held on by 3 screws...definitely was in a accident.

For the cam seal, for some reason nobody has one in town. Can I reuse that old one with new rtv?

mattmid

Question, what's on the driver side of the engine, lower in the belt area that could leak coolant?

Found out they installed a ebay fuel pressure regulator and the guage isn't working. It's blowing out black soot...not happy with it.

mattmid

something in this area is leaking coolant

The soot

How do i adjust this? without the guage working? is it just the bolts on the right? loosen outside then adjust the inside one out and tighten the outside nut?

Think she might have been in a accident?

Russell D

Definitely in an accident, and not a 5mph one if the bumper support is bent!

As far as the fuel pressure regulator goes, remove the ebay garbage and put a factory one on, there's no need for it on a street car! I've got friends with stock regulators on their race cars because they are simple, consistent and reliable...