new guy here, need some input

evo_z

Hi and hello to everyone on the board. Just registered today and just want to say first that the site looks great. I'm not an integra owner but I may be in the market to get one.

I currently have two cars, an 03 EVO and a 91 Z32 TT. The EVO is my everyday hi-power car while the Z is a weekend/trackday ride. I love both cars and enjoy driving them but lately I've been feeling the financial pinch of maintaining and upgrading the Z for track use (tranny would cost $2500!). I just started to get into DIY wrenching and the Z is really hard to work given that the engine bay is cramped and the other systems are rather complicated and hard to work on.

Giving it alot of thought, I'm thinking of selling the Z and getting a second 'track only' car. When I say track only, this car would see mostly track use and some street use. Also, this second car might eventually evolve into a race car for either NASA Honda Challenge or SCCA Honda Cup use. I've narrowed it down to two choices namely the 4G Prelude VTEC and the DC2 Integra GS-R 94-95.

AFAS the Integra, I want to know how hard/easy it is to maintain and how hard/easy it is to work on. Are they DIY friendly? (easy accesible components, straight forward installs) Are they durable enough for track use? (tranny, engine, suspension) Are they expensive to modify and maintain? (cost of parts etc.) Also, for the owners who track/autox their cars, how's the performance afa handling, braking, power and are there any 'first step' mods I need to do to make it track ready?

Any input of suggestions would really be great! :D

evo_z

DC2_Project said:
what made you leave out a 92-95 hatch??
well, I'm looking for something 'enjoyable' out of the box with little modification or preparation. Also, in Honda Callenge, the eg6 is classed in H4 and I think it wouldn't be as competitive as an Integra GS-R in H3 class. A Hybrid eg6 (engine swap) would be placed in H1 against s2ks and NSXs (yikes! :shock: )

DownShift96GSR

Well buddy, welcome.

IMO, I would go with the integra. Your talking about autox and one word comes to mind, SPOON. Go to www.inlinefour.com and search under SPOON. They have a B18C5 (Type R) motor that they have pretty much preped for track use. Now your costst will not decrease from what I can see. This motor alone costs $6500, but you don't have to get, i'm just letting you know. Its made for high revving and endurance. All your suspension you will want to upgrade. I suggest TEIN or SPOON for your set up.

As far as working on the car, I find it easy to do, but the engine has its tight spots here and there, but its real easy. Everything is pretty light and not as heavy as other cars. All in all, its a real good car to use for autox. Good luck and we are all here to help you out. If you want, you can PM me or e-mail me for any other specific questions.

evo_z

DownShift96GSR said:
Well buddy, welcome.

IMO, I would go with the integra. Your talking about autox and one word comes to mind, SPOON. Go to www.inlinefour.com and search under SPOON. They have a B18C5 (Type R) motor that they have pretty much preped for track use. Now your costst will not decrease from what I can see. This motor alone costs $6500, but you don't have to get, i'm just letting you know. Its made for high revving and endurance. All your suspension you will want to upgrade. I suggest TEIN or SPOON for your set up.

As far as working on the car, I find it easy to do, but the engine has its tight spots here and there, but its real easy. Everything is pretty light and not as heavy as other cars. All in all, its a real good car to use for autox. Good luck and we are all here to help you out. If you want, you can PM me or e-mail me for any other specific questions.
Thanks for the help! I'm still leaning either way but now I have some more info to go by afa the Integra. I'm mostly planning on using the OE engine until it gives out and just get another one from there. I peaked into that website and looks like they have great prices on used OE parts. That's one thing that I really like about Hondas/Acuras in general, parts for them are plenty and rather inexpenive.

EclecticTeg21

the GSR is a great car for track use. pretty peppy out of the box, and has a higher redline thats nice for auto x. IMHO, tegs are very easy to work on. just like DownShift96GSR said, it has its tight spots, but other than that its easy. parts are pretty inexpensive, and maintenence isnt expensive either. since its pretty nice out of the box, i would go ahead and start with suspension componets if i was going to auto x it.

DownShift96GSR

Another good thing about the B series engine is that parts are interchangable. You could easily take your GSR motor and drop either Type R pistons, which might be a little pricey, or you can go with PR3 pistons and raise the engines compression a lot for under $100. The PR3 pistons are the pistons that come out of the B16A Si engine. Then you could also grab yourself a Type R head and swap it with the GSR head. The B series motor IMO has been the funnest motor to work with out of the different motors I have worked on.

evo_z

You make an excellent point on part interchangability with other B series engines. I've heard others doing LS blocks with VTEC heads, ITR heads with B16 blocks etc. Are they really that easy to do? Do you have to fabricate/modify anything? Also, the B series has got to be the most supported engine afa aftermarket parts which puts a big plus in the GS-R side.

here's a couple of pictures (kinda old) of my cars.

My Cars

evo_z

Forgot to add that, if you guys spot a good deal for a 94-95 OBD1 GS-R (preferably in SoCal or CenCal), let me know! Also, if you know someone who wants to get a Z32 Turbo, let me know. My Z runs great and would make a good basis for a project car for either strip or track.

Last edited:

TegSox

Super Duper Moderator
I checked out your pics, I see the EVO and the red car looks like a 300ZX to me, what's a Z32?

evo_z

DC2_Project said:
how many miles on the z32 and would you trade??
It's about 112k on the odo. I might be interested depending on what you want to trade it for plus some cash.

DownShift96GSR

Yeah, its really not that hard to do. The only thing though is you couldn't put a Type R IM on a GSR head without modification. That's the only part that I know of that needs modification. But thanks to Skunk2, you don't have to mod anything, just buy the manifold and put it on. You could easily turbo a Type R motor to run high boost by easily switching its pistons with LS pistons. For Under $100 you could drop your compression to a 9.4:1 and be able to run 12 psi. on a turbo easily.

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
check out DH-racing.com they have sick engines. Turbo ready ls/vtec, vtec turbo ready 9 second b16a. N/A engines gauranteed to 12.5 if i had the money i would send my car to them in a heart beat