new here, advice on buying an Integra

jimmy94

hey all im james. i may be trading my lifted 94 toyota 4runner for a 94 integra b18b1 5pd. will be checking the car over tomorrow. guy says it needs a water pump. things to look out for? what symtoms should i look for with a bad water pump, so i know there isnt a more serious problem? any advise is greatly appriciated!

Ganyon

Check it out all over. Make sure it idles fine. Idle is 750 I believe. Make sure there isn't any out of the ordinary sounds while driving. Check for rust. All I can think of for now.

Ryan659

Take it to a mechanic and have them perform a 130 point (something like that) inspection. And get carfax report. Total about 150 or so for both. Best thing if you want to get a professional opinion.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
Hi James, first let me say welcome to CI, my name is Max

for the car, it having a bad water pump makes me wonder about the timing belt - the water pump is replaced along with the timing belt and if the pump is bad how old is the timing belt. also make sure there is no knocking or that stuff, a little extra cam noise is normal for the high mileage hondas

jimmy94

thanks guys! yeah, hes actually gonna buy the pump, timing belt, and all seals and gaskets for me and help me put it in in his garage! hes and ase certified too, so he says. turns out i actually know the guys. small world eh? but yes, idles at about 760 warmed up, no rust, flat back, may need a tranny mount too. were gonna redo vavle clearence and timing while were in there. sounds and looks good to me...

Skidmarks

Cascade Honda Crew
Sounds like you got lucky that it turns out you know the guy. Hopefully he won't screw you over. Another thing to check is the tail pipe. See if there's any residue from excess oil burning. Other than that, welcome to CI :)

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
Hi James. I just bought my Integra less than two weeks ago. You should definetely run a car fax. I passed up on 4 "great deals" because the Carfax came back with information undisclosed by the seller.

Here is a website I used, which comes with a great checklist for buying a used car. It explains a LOT.

http://www.samarins.com/check/simplecheck.html

purpl3ran93r

one common problem is a leaky clutch master cylinder on integras and also when you close the door and it rattles, thats a pretty common problem but a relatively easy fix. other than that the usual stiff you would check tempertature, oil levels, smoke, etc.

jimmy94

ok, thanks for all the welcomes! ill be regular here now as weve got the trade done. il post up some pics when i get a working cam. im starting the waterpump and timing belt tomorrow, hopefully alll goes smootly. ive never owned an integra before and im real excited! its flat black, shitty spray can job but im decent with body so well be seein about that! thnks again

Baby Ollie

Pokemon Master
ok, thanks for all the welcomes! ill be regular here now as weve got the trade done. il post up some pics when i get a working cam. im starting the waterpump and timing belt tomorrow, hopefully alll goes smootly. ive never owned an integra before and im real excited! its flat black, s***ty spray can job but im decent with body so well be seein about that! thnks again
Congrats man! We'll be waiting on those pics.