New here and - need help

Integra93

I have a 93 teg with a B18 my timing belt broke what should I do?....do I need to have head rebuilt or do I need to swap the motor? If so should I go with a vtec B16 or stay with the B18 and swap the head to vtec?

orwell_1984

Banned
1) my timing belt broke what should I do?
..2).do I need to have head rebuilt or
3) do I need to swap the motor?
4)If so should I go with a vtec B16 or stay with the B18
5) and swap the head to vtec?

1)if the motor (bottom end) is ok... slap new belt on.. i suppose
2) no... wouldnt hurt, and if you got money like that... go for it
3) swap the motor out for a timming belt replacement.. belts go out, its going to happen... if you got money to replace engines all the time...go for it.
4)i doubt its that easy..
5) and all the other components?

Integra93

I figured I could just have the belt replaced, but a local shop here told me that the valves were most likely smashed and a new engine would be my best bet, and a guy I work with said to have the head redone.. I just want my integra back

L_Acura_S

Not all of the valves are sure to be bad. Replace the t-belt get it timed correctely and check compression if you bent any valves you wont have any compression in the cylinder. Although if you were driving you probly bent some so a head rebuild wouldn't be a bad idea

92DB2

ls motors are not a interfearence motor..put anew belt and water pump and you should be fine..my friend ripped of 3 water pumps 2 of them was the pully itself from defective shit and never bent a valve..new belt and pump and you should be ok..and like stated get a compression test thats the best way to tell if you have a bad valve cause bent valve=0psi of compression

Integra93

Is there a way to check the valves before installing the timing belt

mirrorimg

ls motors are not a interfearence motor..put anew belt and water pump and you should be fine..my friend ripped of 3 water pumps 2 of them was the pully itself from defective shit and never bent a valve..new belt and pump and you should be ok..and like stated get a compression test thats the best way to tell if you have a bad valve cause bent valve=0psi of compression
lol. Thats a load of garbage. All integra motors are interference motors. You can have good compression even with a bent valve. How badly its bent determines how much compression is lost. I had 4 bent valves in my head, 3 intakes and 1 exhaust. I had approximately 190 compression across all cylinders. A LEAKDOWN test would be a better diagnostic choice to see where it is leaking. You can determine if you are losing compression through the valves, headgasket, or piston rings. If you have over 10% leakdown in a cylinder, you will know that there is a problem, in your case, one or more bent valves.

Is there a way to check the valves before installing the timing belt
Leakdown test.