New owner , clutch question

heydude348

Bought a 2000 GSr for my son. While he has never driven a stick, I grew up on them. I was told by the previous owner and I have the pics to back up the work, that the motor was rebuilt with skunk this and skunk that, etc,etc. It also has an aftermarket clutch. I am not sure what "stage" or pressure plate or etc., etc.Here's the question, while driving, mainly 1st-2nd, 2nd-3rd, the car engages hard with very little room for error. If your not dead on it will give you a good kidney shot. Could this be an adjustment in the clutch/pressure plate/ throw out bearing or can this only be corrected by changing the one of those? Or Is this just the nature of the beast?

TheCrimsonStar

Sounds like a stage 3+ clutch. Gotta swap it out with a lower one to change the intensity of the grab. Go for oem or stage 1. Don't go higher unless you race a lot.

Sent from my GameBoy Color using Tapatalk.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
Concur. Its an aggressive clutch he put in and probably isnt even built enough to warrant that clutch. Swap to oem and it'll shift like butter. You can throw a lot of bolt ons at it and still run on a stock clutch.

TheCrimsonStar

Concur. Its an aggressive clutch he put in and probably isnt even built enough to warrant that clutch. Swap to oem and it'll shift like butter. You can throw a lot of bolt ons at it and still run on a stock clutch.
Yeah that plus having a stage 3+ clutch and not shifting slowly can destroy a stock flywheel, tranny...etc.

My teg came with a stage 3 springless clutch so it grabs hard. I purposely shift slowly so I don't damage anything...but man that thing can grab HARD. When I drive it most people in my car think it's a stock clutch because of how good I've gotten at letting off the clutch easily.

Until you get a lower stage clutch, just learn where it starts to catch, and practice letting off of it very easily. Eventually you can make it feel like shifting on an oem clutch.

Sent from my GameBoy Color using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

heydude348

How involved is changing a clutch? I have a limited knowledge of Integras and a limited knowledge of mechanics, but I do have friends.So.Is it a big undertaking?

99TegLs

not especially. you remove 16 bolts from the tranny case, 2 mounts holding the tranny, and voila, the clutch is accessed!

99TegLs

obviously there's a little more than that to it... but its a very basic 3 hour procedure