New plan for 92 gsr- any suggestions?

kuntrykracker66

so i decided not to boost or swap/boost my gsr ( i know i just made alot of ppl happy with that one)... instead i wanna keep it close to factory for autocross... i am not going to strip the interior, just rebuild it with mild engine mods and suspension with focus on autocross and street.... me and the old lady wanna get into autocross and i think this is the perfect car for it....... now what to do about these used and worn 14s

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Chassis stiffening, suspension, brakes and tires/wheels.

I suggest deleting ABS and getting a front and rear strut bar, C-pillar bar.

Research full coilovers, most here will recommend Skunk2 Pro series or Koni/GC.

Can't go wrong with an ITR conversion, more stopping power. If not then maybe just some steel lines and upgraded rotors/calipers.

Falken make sticky tires.

kuntrykracker66

yea im working on restoring it too... i think abs has already been taken off (along with the AC,cruise, and Pwr steering...it wasnt me)... so far i think my plan is (not in particular order)

already has AEM intake, fuel rail, and fpr.. exhaust (which ill be changing), coilovers (prev. owner said skunk2 but im unsure.)... previous owner also said it had stage one cams, so whether it really does or not is a mystery to me..

-b17 rebuild, (maybe a b18c swap first, undecided) forged rods and pistons, stock comp.
- lightweight flywheel,
-clutch upgrade,
-carbon syncros (before they do go bad),
-probably a quaife lsd (any better options?)
-DC header with header wrap (an old SCC article found that installing an aftermarket header with header wrap lowered the coolant temps almost 40 degrees on a b18c)
-aluminum radiator
-samco hoses
-front (and maybe rear) strut bars, as well as custom bracing in the front stiffening all the innerfenders, core support, etc
- racing tires for 14s (do i need four? or would two do?)
-if front wheels push too much and i need more rotation, ill get a stiffer rear sway bar
-EBC slotted rotors and yellowstuff brakes, earls brake lines, rebuild calipers
-check to see if the steering rack is a non-power unit, if not, put one on (what are my options here?)
-would like to get AC back on this car, and maybe cruise control

there will be more cosmetic/etc stuff ill be doing to this car, i need a few trim pieces, shave hatchback, etc... paint is coming this summer

Last edited:

92gsrboy

Sounds interesting...good luck and have fun!

kuntrykracker66

yea ive read here recently to get camber/alignment set and do some hard driving before doin roll bars so you know which way to go.... too much rotation = smaller rear bar, bigger front, or both.. too little rotation stiffer rear and smaller front, or both.... after that is right is when u move on to setting the damping... may not be the *best* way but its best ive heard so far

guiltyxxspark

Internet Hate Machine
Do nothing to the exterior. Don't shave the emblems, the OEM spoiler, side moldings or anything. Keep it mint. JDM headlights is your decision but nothin "aftermarket: or "euro".

hgocasca

level 77 troll
+1 for your change of heart rookie, I like your thinking. This is a car meant for tasteful mods and classy upgrades. Too rare to butcher up like a science project. Just make sure if you do anything, that it can be undone. And wear those emblems with pride. You have a piece of Honda history and beauty. I sir, am jealous, to no end. You treat that car good, and it'll treat you even better back. That I can promise.

kuntrykracker66

the only exterior "mods" will be this:
-the factory spoiler was gone when i bought it.... fine with me, i prefer no spoiler or a low profile lip spoiler...
-factory color repaint this summer (maybe a lil pearl in it).... black trim (it was monochromatic from the factory but i like the black/red look.
-car had "JDM" one piece headlights wit HIDs.... not original but SOOOO much better than stock lol..
b18 was only considered for boosting purposes....which i am going to try my hardest to not go that route...
-new front lip (one actually made for DA) and maybe some very plain side skirts since ill be on 17s
-keeping all the badges... and considering CF hood and hatch... just expensive!

some ground clearance under the oilpan is a MUST so im probably going with some 17s with some bigger meat for 1. ground clearance and 2. a lil better highway gear.... im driving a 100miles a day and 4000+ rpm is TOO much for cruising at 70... dont worry though im getting some sticky tires on my 14s for autocross....

my car is rare, i know, sought after, i know, shouldnt be touched, shouldnt be driven..... and again i know but
the car was modified when i bought it, and i am going to have to Undo some of the previous mods, and then some... it will never be a pristine, low mileage, all original car... and thats okay with me. so im going to do some tastefull mods to increase the performance, some for looks, and some for entertaining.... some of you wont like it... and thats okay with me too..

kuntrykracker66

and one more thing, hgocasca, lol im no pro by no means, but just because i have only 12 posts on this particular forum, doesnt mean im 12 posts into the automotive world, import world, or honda world....we are the same age, ive been subscribed to various car mags since 4th grade (no shit), helped work on and do track duties on my dads dirt track cars growing up, helped restore a 68' chevy c10 and a 81 vette as a kid... then when i turned 16 i aquired an 88 dx hatch that my grandmother bought new, joined and eventually was a moderator on an EF forum, did mini-me, and a few other cheap mods (pleeese dont ask for details, i was 16 and Fast and furious was pretty popular.... gawd...im sorry!), after the civic came a lightly modded 92 gst eclipse, totalled it, couple of uninteresting cars later and now in my "stable" is the gsr and mildly built (mild= abt 500hp/ 500tq at 2500rpm)78' c10 with a 500caddy big block, 400 turbo, and 12 bolt posi, prolly forgetting alot of stuff.... i know u prolly didnt mean the "rookie" part in any off-color way, just figured it was a good time for a lil background info on here since i havent posted any introductions.... i didnt post this to try to impress anyone, i just wanted to show im not a "rookie" but i do understand that i dont know everything, and theres always someone whose tried it or did it better, so im always open for any advice and input..