New Speaker Question

SOLOITR2001

2001 ITR OWNER
I have an 01 ITR and am looking at upgrading my speakers and tweeters. I am not wanting a sub taking up space in my trunk as well as more weight to carry. Now with that said I am wanting some really good sounding ones that will really be clear and yet have some bass to them.

I went to an audio store and talked with I guy I am somewhat familiar with and he recommended for what I am asking for, to go with MB Quarts all around. Which I have heard good things about them but not 100% sure. Then I talk to my buddies who have dabbled with sound systems quite a bit and they suggested going with 1. Kicker and if not that than 2. JL Audio.

Can you guys shine some light on this for me. I don't really have a budget so whatever they cost I would pretty much pay for them as long as they are great sounding.

Thanks for the help and info.

STL99Teggy

Honda Connoisseur
If money is not an issue than I would go with Focal. A bit on the expensive side you will not be disappointed

jdmteg08

dont know where ur from but i got memphis 6x9s in the rear and 6 1/2s in the font and memphis tweeters along with a memphis 15 mojo in a ported box and let me tell you all my friends can hear me from blocks away and they say it sounds crystal clear.

Loas_drums

Noob question I know but jdmteg08 those sizes you listed (6x9 and 6 1/2) are the stock sizes I take it. Can the same be said for a 4 door 96? Just bought her Friday night and found that one rear and one front need to be replaced. I haven't found any speak sticky or thread in search until this one popped up.

ACJett

Enthusiast
Noob question I know but jdmteg08 those sizes you listed (6x9 and 6 1/2) are the stock sizes I take it. Can the same be said for a 4 door 96? Just bought her Friday night and found that one rear and one front need to be replaced. I haven't found any speak sticky or thread in search until this one popped up.
http://www.clubintegra.com/board/showthread.php?t=41454&highlight=speaker+size

you should be able to fit 6.5's in the front as opposed to 5.25 but I have no personal experience with that, so take it with a grain of salt.

Loas_drums

Thanks I have some speakers I bought from a friend a good while back and wanted to know if they would work. I'm pretty sure that two are 6x9's but I'm not sure of the other two. Thanks again for the help.

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
If you want some good sound quality w/out a subwoofer this is what you do. This is the SMART way to do it.

Get some decent front components. The brands you're looking at now are really serious overkill in my opinion. The car environment (especially in the non-deadened Type R) is very hostile to sound quality. You're never going to hear the difference between some Alpine's and some MB Quarts when you're driving. The road and engine noise cancel it out. So don't waste your money. Get Alpine, Infinity, Polk, something like that.

Now for the rear you want some mid bass drivers with no tweeters. Basically you can buy the same components for the rear but not use the tweeters. You only want bass coming from the rear. Having highs come from behind your ear really hurts sound quality and costs you some power.

Now at a bare minimum you want to amplify the rears. If you're using rear components like I suggested, you can toss the passive crossovers and use the amp's built in active crossover. This will give you more power since passive crossovers cost you some power. Set them to low pass somewhere around 125-80 Hz depending on where it sounds best. Slightly higher than you would low pass a sub.

Now I also suggest you amp the front components. So you could use a 4CH amp for all four, have the rear low passed and have the front play your mids and highs. Retain the front passive crossovers.

My plan will cost you probably the same as your four MB Quarts or Focals-maybe even less-, but it's going to sound much better and you'll be able to play it louder. You're going to have a nice full sound since the frequency ranges are divided between different speakers; high, mid, and low. It's not going to bump ridiculous like many ricers like with their exaggerated bass. But most people will ask you "where's your subs?"

I've done this on several cars including a DA... anyone I could talk into it w/out them thinking I am just trying to sell them crap (I'm an installer, not a salesman). The owners are always very surprised and very happy while many people who compromise here and there end up replacing different components of their setup again and again.

Last edited:

ssbpdc2R

noob question but can you guys shoot me a link how to install 6x9's in rear... do i need to cut any thing? i lloked backed there and they are like 5.25 or 6.5's that link on speakers size says 98+ have 6x9's in rear

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
noob question but can you guys shoot me a link how to install 6x9's in rear... do i need to cut any thing? i lloked backed there and they are like 5.25 or 6.5's that link on speakers size says 98+ have 6x9's in rear
Not worth it... oval speakers don't sound as good as round. The bass sounds loose and farty. And the mounting and "box" the speaker is in is more important than the size. Some cleanly installed 6.5's with some Dynamat will kill any 6x9's you can rig back there.

If you really want a great install, pull your rear seats and pop loose the rear quarter plastic but leave it in place. Then go to a custom audio shop and have them fab up some fiberglass speaker boxes for 6.5's or maybe even a small square Kicker. Sub is a great idea... rear speakers are highly overrated.

Last edited:

suspendedHatch

Legalize Illegal Aliens
Funny you say that.
when i put in my deck
somehow before i didn't notice i had no front speakers only back ones.
but they sound pretty good can put the deck up half way before it goes crappy.
Yeah a modern aftermarket deck will automatically take the extra power left over from not having rear speakers and put it toward the front speakers. Whenever I buy another car, the first thing I do is get rid of the rear speakers.

WAR 178

Premium User
1st get an aftermarket deck. 6.5 speakers are the stock size in my coupe all around (front/rear)
to get "good"bass without an amp(weight?) its hard outa 6.5 speakers.
My setup (and sounds damn good) : Pioneer head unit- 6.5 3way speakers in front doors, MB quart component/ crossover 6.5 speakers in rear panels, 8 ga amp kit running to the small Xtant 2ch 250 watt amp bridged to mono powering 1- 12" JL audio w series sub in a sealed box. ====Tickets lol

Great sound.... very little weight and not serious overkill for these hatchback cars...
also everything looks stock from outside my car with no tints. Many cut the rear deck lids to add good sounding sysytems...lol
g/l on the build