new sway bar links.. wobbling

PioneerLS

I replaced my front sway bar links and noticed a big handlings increase. but at around 65-70 and just high speeds I will get a random wobble feeling as if my wheels are out of balance. I re torqued my lugs and made sure they were on correctly and it didn't help.

do sway bar links affect anything alignment wise?
could I have bent a wheel at some point?
can weights fall off wheels? they were laying in the grass so maybe that happened?
not sure what else it would be. it was just aligned maybe a month ago. didn't even happen til the drive home after installing the links.
one last suspicion - the rear wheel hub driver side. it's going bad but not sure if it would cause this wobble cause it happens when just going straight, not so much when I'm leaning on the bad bearing.

JeremyB

It could just be your suspension needs to settle back out since you had it jacked up, but it could be any of the things your listed. You only took the sway bar loose and nothing else right?

MiketheDyke

My job is clean toilets
My moms car's wheel weights fell out one time and at speeds over 60mph, the car started wobbling. So that probably happened to you too.

PioneerLS

make sure your links are torqued also
We did it without a torque wrench. Also, the weights in the grass wouldn't be a thing for me to look for because it was at a friends house who is decently far away.

Where could i find the torque specs? The axles are oem, why? And I don't think the suspension needs to settle anymore its been a few days and i commute 15 mins a day and do a lot of driving haha so it's probably settled by now.

It really feels like a weight fell off though. Cause its not constant like an alignment problem, it's not dangerous feeling what so ever and doesn't get any better or worse. But id like to get the correct torque on the sway bar links before I have my wheels tested for balance.

PioneerLS

Thanks. Do you really think the torque specs of a sway bar would make my car wobble at certain highway speeds though? I mean i couldnt even tell when my swaybar was completely disconnected unless i was turning. Doesn't seem like something that would affect the actual driving of the car.

Nick_C78

So many different theories. Here is mine, jack up the car and check wheel bearings and tie rods. You check this by simply wiggling the tire. With hands at 3 and 9 if it wiggles then its tire rods. With hands anywhere its wheel bearing. If it doesn't have any play I suggest swapping your front wheels with rear wheels. See if that changes it to a rear vibration and not steering wobble.

PioneerLS

So many different theories. Here is mine, jack up the car and check wheel bearings and tie rods. You check this by simply wiggling the tire. With hands at 3 and 9 if it wiggles then its tire rods. With hands anywhere its wheel bearing. If it doesn't have any play I suggest swapping your front wheels with rear wheels. See if that changes it to a rear vibration and not steering wobble.
I just changed my front wheel bearing. This wobble didnt happen on the way to my friends house, but on the drive back after we put the sway bar links in it happened. We didnt mess with anything else, thats why i think its the weight that fell off the wheel possibly.

It would be a pretty big coincidence if the timkin bearing i just got put in happened to go bad immediately after putting it in especially right after i also did something else to the car.

The swapping wheels idea is a good one, cause then id be able to see if the wobble is in the rear after swapping.

Nick_C78

Didn't know you just did the wheel bearings, but yeah I would swap and see. If you removed the wheels and set them in his grass and then found weights in the grass where you set the wheels then that makes sense...They do fall off, especially sticky ones. Swap and see and get your tires balanced if anything.

PioneerLS

Didn't know you just did the wheel bearings, but yeah I would swap and see. If you removed the wheels and set them in his grass and then found weights in the grass where you set the wheels then that makes sense...They do fall off, especially sticky ones. Swap and see and get your tires balanced if anything.
Yeah my bad. But thats the thing, i havent been to his house since and we did it at night so idk if there are weights laying around anywhere. So ill swap the wheels and see. Thanks for your help guys :)