New to cars, but this is my baby

Bluesoldier11

Car Noob
:) Hey everyone!

So, this is my first post here, and I figure I might as well start it out right. My car is an automatic '94 LS named Darla. Yep, I'm one of those people that names their cars lol. I've had her for about 3 years now, and haven't really done much to her. Mainly because I'm not a "car guy." I am, however, a tinkerer, so, over the past two months I've been learning what I can about cars in general and trying to make my own modifications and repairs instead of paying someone else to do them. For the most part, she's stock. I've started out small, in an attempt to fix some of her more glaring problems such as the odd noise here and there, and more serious issues such a leaking heater core. For now, I've bypassed the heater core. Over the past two months, what I have done is:

- Installed a Magnaflow 14375 muffler
- Installed Accel rotor, cap, and wires
- Installed Autolite plugs
(I know they aren't OEM but they had good reviews from Acura owners)
- Installed Rain-X Latitude wiper blades and a new steering wheel cover
- Replaced broken A/C condenser fan
- Modified the bumper with Plastidip (Barely noticible lol)
- Moved the license plate to the side of the front bumper

For the future I want to start out with the basics: New header, new exhuast (other than the muffler), new intake, and a better maintenance schedule. This car is my daily driver, so I want her to be reliable, but I'm also trying to learn about cars by experimenting on her so it's gonna be fun over the next few months seeing what works and what doesn't. I would like more power and more response from her, but at the same time, with everything I just installed, she's getting pretty close to how she was the day I first got her, so I'm already pretty satisfied lol. Going forward, though, today I ordered an eBay short ram intake, along with an AEM filter that I hope fits properly. I've also ordered a Mugen-style front bumper lip that I also hope fits. Not being too car-knowledgeable, I find myself kinda just crossing my fingers because not all of the car part websites are specific on the trim of my car. But anyways, all of those parts should be here this week, so I'll post more pictures once I've installed them. However, for now, here's my baby:

And I forgot to mention, I also had a Soundstream PCX1000D amp, along with one 12" Pioneer Champion Series sub installed a few years back. Here are those:

I'll post updates from time to time. Thanks for checking her out!

itzrivera

looks nice man. I would take the stickers off the trunk, though.

You should record what your exhaust sounds like and post it up...I'm a fan of nice exhaust tones lol

Bluesoldier11

Car Noob
Thanks, man! And I only roll with magnets, no stickers. That way I can have a cool, magnet-free look whenever I want. And that's true, I'll post up a video tomorrow if I have the time to throw something together. Meant to do a before and after, but forgot. The exhaust is perfect for me though because it's not really too loud or ricey sounding. It's almost stock-sounding from a cold start, but once the car gets heated, things get sexy.

94RS

No fucks given.
Welcome to CI.

Looks like you got lucky in finding a stock car, I gotta agree with taking the stickers off though. Also, I'd clean up the headlights and tint the windows. Don't worry about not knowing much, if you're here long enough you'll pick up on a bunch of things. Take a look around some build threads to get some ideas for your car. :thumbup:

94RS

No fucks given.
Btw, magnets suck equally. I see cars all the time with faded paint everywhere except where the magnet was, usually a ribbon.

Bluesoldier11

Car Noob
Thanks for the input, man. I definitely do need to clean up the headlights. I was actually looking into adding eyelids, despite the fact that 10,000% of everyone on here hates them lol. Cheap, interesting way to personalize my car a bit. And you're right about the faded paint on most cars. I move my magnets around at least once a week though as I go through the car wash a lot, so I don't have that problem like most people. However, my paint job is starting to fade, badly. I was contemplating getting a new color, possibly one of these two:

I'm a detailer at a car place, though. So I've been saving the paint codes of all the eye-pleasing colors I've come across. May consider Plastidipping to cut cost since she's a daily driver. Not sure.

db8er

i <3 the vtak!
I also agree on the magnets but lookin good man lets hesr that exhaust!

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
holy crap! youre black?!

youre not the only one that names their car. mine's name is LeatherFace. check out my build thread and youll understand.

dont plastidip the car. it sucks when you start to get chips and the color fades. stick to paint. just google it and lots of people will agree that its not good for a daily.

dont bother throwing in any power upgrades besides exhaust (something quiet) and an intake since its auto. i say just wheels, front lip and slam the shit out of it and use it as a cruiser.

and welcome to the club!!

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener using Tapatalk.

Bluesoldier11

Car Noob
Thanks for the replies! Lmao yes, I am indeed black. I've actually got an intake and front lip en route. Should be here tomorrow. I do want to lower the car, but not too much, as I tend to speed over bumps and would enjoy not having to turn around to find my bumper a mile back down the road. I made a quick video of the exhaust today though. Here it is:
http://youtu.be/UhdsWjEXdjA

Sent from my cup of orange juice using Tapatalk 2

94RS

No fucks given.
Look into the Eibach Pro-kit if you don't wanna go real low. As for repainting, remember it's gonna be more costly and a bigger pain in the ass to change colors unless you don't mind having a red car with green door jambs/engine bay. It'd be like Christmas all year :lol:

Also, the red on that Evo you posted reminds me of Burning Red Pearl, this is bkirshr's car for an idea of how it looks on a DB.

Bluesoldier11

Car Noob
I'll have to look more into how those kits work, but I'm assuming just springs would be good enough. Decent price, too. I've never actually seen a Teg with that color on it before, only Evos. That actually looks really sexy, hm. I guess the only thing holding me back from jumping into getting a true paint job is the cost. For a good job, it'll be like 2K at least, and that's money that could be spent on other parts or something, y'know? As always though, I'm sure I'd end up spending more in the long run if I went the plastidip route. Guess I need to just stop being broke lol. Thanks for the tips though, man. I appreciate someone pointing me in a good direction for the parts I could use.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
i wouldnt stray too much from the original color. like, a different shade of green would be good. like midori green

or blue green pearl (BG33P)

Bluesoldier11

Car Noob
I like that second color. Would it be cheaper to paint if I stayed close to the original color?

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
I like that second color. Would it be cheaper to paint if I stayed close to the original color?

im pretty sure you'll still be paying the same amount. i just think its less of a hassle going to a different color on the spectrum.

like me, i'd go with champ white, grand prix white, untoned white or diamond white.