New to CI and modding in general.

sOuL

Chappy said:
Hello all. I got a 2001 GS-R M/T a few moths ago as my first car!!! A few weeks ago I decided to get a CAI for it and now i have gotten addicted, and I am saving up for new header/high flow cat/exhaust.
I want more low to mid range power in my teg so I was going to get a 4-2-1 header with a 2.25" high flow cat with a DC Sports exhaust. Am I on the right track here?
Also I was going to wait and get the header/cat/exhaust all at the same time. Is that necessary? Or since I have enough money for either the header/cat or the exhaust/cat should i go ahead and get one of those and then just save up for the one part i dont buy?

Thanks in advance!
a 4-1 header would be better for the GSR's and Type R's, thats what im getting for my GSR 4-1,and welcome to CI!

Last edited:

Chappy

sOuL said:
a 4-1 header would be better for the GSR's and Type R's, thats what im getting for my GSR 4-1,and welcome to CI!
But wouldnt a 4-2-1 header be better for increasing low to mid range power...
And at what rpms do you start to have a power increase from 4-1 headers? I know its higher rpms, but does that mean 5500rpm or more like 4500 rpms?

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
ok sounds like you know where you want to go sounds like you want to stay N/A that is great. my advice make a n/a beast. the first thing i would do is save my money
next:
Hytech header: $750.00
magnaflow exhaust 2.5": 500.00-700.00
Highflow cat or test pipe:50.00-100.00
Jun Stage 3 Cams: 700.00-1000.00
Valve springs: 300.00-500.00
Jun Cam pulleys:??
intake manifold and bigger throttle body
Hondata and dyno tuning
With a set up like that you could have a n/a beast looking at 220-240whp

and Later pistons and rods high compression of course 11:1 or even 12:1

as you can see it gets rather pricey, but in my opinion it is worth it. or just get the intake for now and boost it later

Chappy

slow_99integra said:
ok sounds like you know where you want to go sounds like you want to stay N/A that is great. my advice make a n/a beast. the first thing i would do is save my money
next:
Hytech header: $750.00
magnaflow exhaust 2.5": 500.00-700.00
Highflow cat or test pipe:50.00-100.00
Jun Stage 3 Cams: 700.00-1000.00
Valve springs: 300.00-500.00
Jun Cam pulleys:??
intake manifold and bigger throttle body
Hondata and dyno tuning
With a set up like that you could have a n/a beast looking at 220-240whp

and Later pistons and rods high compression of course 11:1 or even 12:1

as you can see it gets rather pricey, but in my opinion it is worth it. or just get the intake for now and boost it later
First of all. What does n/a mean?
Now that I have embarrassed myself thoroughly.
I was going to get DC Sports stuff (which is obviously less expensive), should i save up more and get the more expensive headers and exhaust?
I know the decision is ultimately up to me and how much i am willling to spend, but will I get improved performance from the Hytech and Magnaflow?

DailyDB8

>>>Honda Enthusiast<<<
4-2-1 has better ground clearance than the 4-1, you gotta sacrifice performance for daily driving sometimes unless its a race motor

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
N/A means naturally aspirated- No Boost. Next the big problem for me with DC sports is they have a 2" collector. The hytech has 2.5" collector. If i had a GSR that is what i would do. but i have an LS so i boosted it.

None of those paarts i mentioned are CARB legal. So that may be a problem. DC sports are.

its all up to you, if you only plan on doing i/h/e then the dc will be fine, but if you plan on building your engine, go with the bigger exhaust and hytech header.

i am right now saving for the hytech, with my set up it will give me 15+ whp.

Chappy

Ok. I guess I am going to have to think more about whether i am ok with a 2" collector.
Thanks.

CARB only applies to Cali right?

slow_99integra

Stinkin & Drinkin
Chappy said:
CARB only applies to Cali right?
no it means it is legal to use and sell in all 50 states. it passes the smog requirements in all states that have emissions testing. it originated in cali

LStegg

1 bad LS
Nice ! She looks cherry. But 4 the header go w/ 4-1 headers instead and GReddy 4 exaust. DC is nice but kinda wimpy and looks like a shiny stock exhaust. Anyway welcome 2 C.I, this site is the shit and better than any other 4 sho ! :welcome:

Chappy

LStegg said:
Nice ! She looks cherry. But 4 the header go w/ 4-1 headers instead and GReddy 4 exaust. DC is nice but kinda wimpy and looks like a shiny stock exhaust. Anyway welcome 2 C.I, this site is the shit and better than any other 4 sho ! :welcome:
I think I am going to go with either Comptech or DC Sports header and either Apexi or Magnaflow exhaust. A 4-1 header wont increase low to mid range power tho... When do you start to see power gains from a 4-1 header?

1990TeGLs said:
do the timing belt first....if it slips there goes ur motor
Really? The car manual says that it needs to be replaced every 105k miles. Im at like 70k.