New to hondas (Acuras as well)and already giving me problems!!!

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
hi, i just recently joined this forum glad to be here,tho

and kind of sad to inaugurate it with a problem:

So my sister got this 1990 Acura Integra LS from a friend,that didn't wanted to start,so i told her to tell him tow it with a tow-kit that he had to my crib,he did so,car at the crib,i checked the car, and the ignition coil is dead,so i replaced it with a new one,car starts and rides fine,until 2 days ago,car doesn't want to start anymore,my dad tests it,he says that gas isn't reaching the engine,replaced the fuel pump relay, checked all the fuses even UNMOUNTED THE TANK,checked everything,and my dad and his friend found out that power isn't reaching the fuel pump,they tested the fuel pump and it seems that the pump is working,but again,not getting power,they give it up,i decided to put it back together,and disappointed i decided to give it a last try,Voila, the car started, so i went to pick up my sister, i turn off the car, talked with some friends (15 minute beak) i went to turn the car on,it starts, went to my crib again,i turned it off,decided to give it a try again,and the car doesn't want to turn on (highly ironic because the the lapse when i turned it off and back on again was about 10 seconds)

so there it is,don't know what to do,what is wrong with this car,i would appreciate any kind of help!!!

sportsma1539

Sounds really similar to a problem I had. It wouldn't fire up after the car would sit for a long time but after it finally started, it would start right back up everytime until it sat for a while. I too replaced the fuel relay thinking that could be it but it didn't help. Tell me if it does this... When you turn the key on does your check engine come on and stay on? When it finally cranks up, does the check engine light "click" and turn off? If it does this exact thing, it is probably the ECU since you have already replaced the main relay. That is what happened to my car and I put another ecu in and it cranked right up with no problem.

Does the fuel pump still prime when it wont start?
Could be a bad wire...

mirrorimg

Fuel pumps can be temperamental when they are on their way out. I know with mine, it would work and not work sometimes. If it wasnt working, I could pull it out, empty it, and reinstall it and she would work again.

emd513

if u got the money go ahead and just replace the pump and sending unit. the trace all the wires up and look for breaks from the tank up. you could be grounding out somewhere when it shuts off but it might not be bothering it that much when ur driving until you cut the motor off. good luck

S0L0Y0

S0L0 Y0
Sounds really similar to a problem I had. It wouldn't fire up after the car would sit for a long time but after it finally started, it would start right back up everytime until it sat for a while. I too replaced the fuel relay thinking that could be it but it didn't help. Tell me if it does this... When you turn the key on does your check engine come on and stay on? When it finally cranks up, does the check engine light "click" and turn off? If it does this exact thing, it is probably the ECU since you have already replaced the main relay. That is what happened to my car and I put another ecu in and it cranked right up with no problem.
sportsma1539,somebody told me that it could be the ecu, but i really don't know how much would that be,and where is it located???

Yeah, does it make a humming sound when you turn the ignition on?
I know what you're saying,j13,and it starts when "it feels like"when it doesn't, it doesn't

Fuel pumps can be temperamental when they are on their way out. I know with mine, it would work and not work sometimes. If it wasnt working, I could pull it out, empty it, and reinstall it and she would work again.
same syndrom,i pulled it out,put the terminals on the battery,voila,it worked,put it inside the tank,again it worked,picked up my sister,chilled with some friends,it works again,i got home,waited ten seconds,try to start the car again,it doesn't even starts.

Does the fuel pump still prime when it wont start?
Could be a bad wire...
there's my point,it receives power only when it feels like,i used a test light to test it, and once you disassemble it,and assemble it again,it receives power,when you turn it off,it stops sending power somehow,

Kind of a confusing car,isn't it???

sportsma1539

Try this when you get a chance... Let the car sit overnight. Then go out to the car and put the key in the "on" position(without starting). Look to see if the c/e light goes off. If it does go off and then won't fire up, you probably do have a wiring problem. If it doesn't go off and doesn't fire up, I can almost guarantee it's the ecu since you have replaced the main relay.

BTW, a new ecu wouldnt cost much. Probably less than $50.

ixcocoyxi

RS owner
did you check if there was some kind of clog in the fuel injectors and/or fuel filter. try replacing the fuel filter first.