New to the audio game

Juelz

Whats up I was reading through the interior/audio posts and saw the different about subs and what not but I just had a few questions since I never had a system before and was working to get started this summer

Im just starting out and am on a budget so not trying to go all out but still want my teggy bumping but still want space in my trunk. And not a super budget where Im gonna go to walmart because I read thats a no no lol

What are the basic things that are needed all I know is: an receiver, Amp, Subs, and new speakers since I still have my stock ones. and wires?

What is usually the average cost for a whole system with someone on a budget?

What box type is best that weighs less and takes up less space. (I mostly play Rap/hip hop)

Tips and cautions? lol and (I mostly play Rap/hip hop)

bangeles

Depending on quality of course, for a decent sound system you should go with 4 mid range speakers, 2 tweeters, and 1 or more subs. basically what you have their is all you need, minus a more powerful battery to power the speakers. In my experience my 92 GSR's headlights would dim each time the bass hit, running 750w to each of my 2 12"s. For my whole setup i did some shopping around and found MB Quarts for my mid range and tweeters and Polk audio db12's, precision power and carver amps, all of which brought me to around 3-4 hundred

Ganyon

Ok, heres a list of what I have. Most of the stuff I caught on sale and they are all quality parts.
Pioneer headunit (cant remember exact model): $100
Polk audio dxi series door speakers: $100 on sale. Normally $150
Kenwood kac 1k watt 2 channel amp: $50 retails for about $200
Rockford fosgate p3 sub and ported enclosure: $50 retails for about $450.
This video is my setup before I actually tuned the amp, so it was only turned up about a quarter of the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMgsySiOuw&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ted's Owner

On to Integra number two!
Whats up I was reading through the interior/audio posts and saw the different about subs and what not but I just had a few questions since I never had a system before and was working to get started this summer

Im just starting out and am on a budget so not trying to go all out but still want my teggy bumping but still want space in my trunk. And not a super budget where Im gonna go to walmart because I read thats a no no lol

What are the basic things that are needed all I know is: an receiver, Amp, Subs, and new speakers since I still have my stock ones. and wires?

What is usually the average cost for a whole system with someone on a budget?

What box type is best that weighs less and takes up less space. (I mostly play Rap/hip hop)

Tips and cautions? lol and (I mostly play Rap/hip hop)
Reciever - Typically goes for personal preference. My personal preference is one with an iPod bypass DAC (higher sound quality; you can read about it on Crutchfield's website), and at least 4v preamp outputs for the sub (again, sound quality). Sonic Electronix is a great website to look at this stuff.
Amplifier - It really depends on what the sub is rated for and how loud you want it. I would think a 250-watt RMS rated monoblock amplifier would be plenty for the Integra since it's so small. Even though I like mind-numbing bass, I wouldn't want it every time I went to drive somewhere. A selectable power switch/knob is a nice feature to look for.
Subwoofer - For the type of music you listen to, I would personally recommend a 12" subwoofer in a ported box. It'll be a little bit heavier and bigger than if it were in a sealed box, but it'll produce the low notes a little bit better and will have a little bit more of a 'boomy' sound without losing sound quality. Plus, if you go with a single sub setup instead of duals like everybody else does, you'll still have trunk space.
For safety, I'd only run 70%-90% of the RMS power rating to the sub. I've read a lot about this, and a lot of manufacturers (JL Audio being one of them) recommends this rule of thumb so you don't blow the sub.
Speakers - 3-ways to 5-ways. Coaxial's/2-ways leave too much to be desired for me. Component systems are nice, too, but they're a little expensive and don't always 100% fit. Most likely, regardless of what kind of speakers you pick for the front doors, you'll need to build brackets to get them to fit properly.
Wires - The biggest (numerically smallest) wires your amps will allow. AWG rating is a must.

Hope this helps.

Evidence Files

1995 α¢υяα ιηтєgяα ℓѕ
http://www.sonicelectronix.com

This place has great prices and i got this link from here from a other post I made, depending what you need get a nice head unit, sony, kenwood or alpine are great units, make sure they have great outputs on the 4 channels like 60x4, also when getting a amp look at the speakers you are going to buy, if you're subs say 700rms buy a amp half of the rms selected, maybe a 500rms mono block, because rms is what really pushes a sub, also get a seal or a band pass box depending on the subs a box with dimensions 1.5 - 1.7 sealed and 2.0 - 2.5 bandpass, i'm just throwing these number as experience I had in previous cars, also get a second amp maybe a 4 channel amp for you're interior speakers (100 watts rated) for front and back and replace factory speakers, for the wiring big is always good because it reduces light flicking when driving and bumping, so get a good short fatty ground and a good positive cable, also don't buy cheap rca jacks get gold plated it eliminates noise and also don't forget to get a power cap, if you're system is over all about 1,500 watts get a cap nfare 1.5 or a 2.0 those are about 1,500 to 2,000 watts. And important thing don't forget to get a fuse box for system protection and use a fuse of 40amps those big ones.

Hope it helps good luck and have fun.

For fun speakers get a w6 JL it will cost you some $$ but that's the last speaker you'll ever buy ;) And you only need one but two is better..

pluckt007

Fat guy in a little coat.
Crutchfield? Lol, no...

How about looking for a kicker cvr 12", any pioneer head unit, ( or the best beat for the dollar, performance techiques), and just about any 750 or 1000 watt amp. Once again, performance techiques if your on a budget. Dont get polk audio, dual, audiobahn, matix, or whatever. JL w7 will hit nice, if you can find it cheap enough. Check craigslist.

Get a yellow top, and your done.

I ran 2 15" kicker cvr, 2 6x9 PT, an 400 watt for those PT, and a 2000 watt also Performance Technique, for the subs connected to a yellow top... in a 91 hatch.

Last edited:

TheCrimsonStar

Crutchfield? Lol, no...

How about looking for a kicker cvr 12", any pioneer head unit, ( or the best beat for the dollar, performance techiques), and just about any 750 or 1000 watt amp. Once again, performance techiques if your on a budget. Dont get polk audio, dual, audiobahn, matix, or whatever. JL w7 will hit nice, if you can find it cheap enough. Check craigslist.

Get a yellow top, and your done.

I ran 2 15" kicker cvr, 2 6x9 PT, an 400 watt for those PT, and a 2000 watt also Performance Technique, for the subs connected to a yellow top... in a 91 hatch.
Hey don't hate on Crutchfield. They may be a tad more expensive, but they have the most kick ass service out of ANY car audio store anywhere. Plus they toss in all this free stuff when you buy from them including wiring adapters, harnesses, dash kits, and a manual of how to change speakers and head units specific to your exact car. Best place I ever bought from.

Also OP, Walmart isn't bad if you know what you're looking for. They carry decent stuff from Kicker and Pioneer speakers and amps. They also sell the 1000W Sony amp which is like their most popular amp. I've had three of them and they all worked great and never messed up on me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

myteggyssexy

I have 2 Memphis c3 12"s alpine cde deck Memphis 4 channel 600w and a alpine 600w 2channel a stinger cap Memphis component speakers in the front an back also cut holes in the cargo cover put 2 Memphis 6x9s in it an its loud!!!

Juelz

Thanks for the replies I was putting together my list and my cousin and you guys of course helped out so far this is what Im looking to get:
A box, two 12in pioneers from my cuz, an RE amp, and a 4 gauge wire kit. Im keeping the stock speakers for now and just adjusting them so they play vocals only. hows it look?

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1496739/vpcsid/731198/SFV/30046

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_35817_RE-Audio-XTX-1500.1-XTX1500.1.html

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60594_Pioneer-DEH-X3500UI.html

Ganyon

Looks like you have a decent setup going. Once you get more cash, you'll definately need to upgrade the door speakers.

Ganyon

I don't run one personally. Years back my dad had 2 in his camaro and the car would still stall when the bas hit at idle. Some say they work, some say they don't.

92lseg

A cap is just a bandaid, get a decent battery if your lights dim..

A cap I basics like a super small battery so all it does is store a small amount of energy for when the amp really draws, most don't recharge fast enough to be worth a damn

I run an alpine 5 channel, type s sub in a ported box, with alpine 6" speakers
And it sounds awesome

Upgrading our stereo without doing speakers, is about as useful as sex without a d#%^