new wrinkle on famous surging idle problem

z1gary

I've been fighting w the surging idle on my 90 teg for awhile now: chkd for vacuum leaks (none), sprayed out the IACV which is in the EACV, bled the cooling sys several times..still surges.

But today, while the A/C was on, guess what?...no surge! just nice steady idle at 1500 rpm. Turn A/C off and surge begins immediately.

Does that give anyone a hint as to the source .... or solution... to the surge problem ?

Thanks,
G

thor777

I battled a mysterious idle surge issue on my ls for a long while and it ended up being excessive blowby. try removing your pcv hose from your intake mani and cap the intake mani plug.. its okay to vent your blowby to the atmossphere to test this.

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
I battled a mysterious idle surge issue on my ls for a long while and it ended up being excessive blowby. try removing your pcv hose from your intake mani and cap the intake mani plug.. its okay to vent your blowby to the atmossphere to test this.
or you could just take off the pcv valve and shake it, if it makes noises and rattles its good.

NemesisCBR

Boredest Member
just cus you checked for leaks and didnt find one doesnt mean its not there. what methods did you apply in checking?

Rich-PMS

Take your FITV (fast idle thermo valve) apart and clean it. Make sure you screw the white plastic cap all the way in when you're done.

Idle will be a perfect 750rpms now.

Rich-PMS

The FITV will cause surge and high idle. Trust me, I've fixed MANY local Hondas with the same problem.