No 5th gear or reverse..Rebuild or Replace?

98sierra

1995 integra 5 speed.. 5th just went out, i drained the fluid and put 2.2l of royal purple 10/30 and .3 of lsd additive (i dont think its lsd but its doesnt hurt it if its not..) and drove it for a few miles and nothing. Its a LITTLE better as it actually goes into 5th. but still pops right out. it wont even go into reverse.
reverse has been out for a while (just got the car) but 5th was working great till suddenly it grinded a little going into 5th then poped right back out. :cry:

MY QUESTION! try and fix the problem or buy another tranny? which is cheaper/faster? never been into a tranny before but i am machanicly inclined and have plenty of tools, but no trans specailty tools..

98sierra

ok just learned that i have a hydro tranny and they are a pain/hard to work on and exspensive...SO i shall be reaplacing it with a GSR tranny

OGstackadoIIa

TEAM LlGHTSPEED RACING
I'm not sure where you are, but I have a guy here in NorCal that has refurbished Gs-R tran's for about $650 with core exchange.
Good luck, dude

mjones73

I think you're confusing hydro tranny with an automatic tranny. Hydro just means it has an hydraulic clutch. It will probably still be easier to find a low mileage or rebuilt one and swap them.

Keep in mine with a GSR trans the gearing is higher, if you do a lot of highway driving, you will be pushing higher RPMs in 5th then you do now.

98sierra

i was told that the hydro (as in hydrolic clutch) trannies were harder to work on due to the case of the trans..? IDK.

but at this point i think im just gonna try and replace. i dont usually do alot of interstate driving but when i do its a long drive lol, like the last time on the interstate was a 1000 miles trip. car is turbo so im really not TOO woried about which trans i just was told that the GSR is nice to have.