No crank/no start after using a/c

janathan5

I recently replaced my a/c compressor finally after a couple of years without having a/c. I have noticed that after I use the a/c, my car decides it doesn't want to crank or start, but will start up just fine if I turn off the a/c and let it cool down (usually half an hour to an hour). I thought it was my main relay going out since the engine is hot when I'm trying to restart it. Bought a new relay last night and installed it this morning. After work, I wanted to test out my theory and ran the car almost 45 minutes with full a/c before I turned it off. I'm assuming it's not the main relay since the problem is still happening. Any suggestions as to what is causing this issue??

Starter was changed 2 months ago and alternator was changed 4 months ago.

Muckman

Not a M0derator
When this occurs does the starter crank and the engine just does fire up (start) or does the starter not crank at all?

janathan5

Nothing happens, no crank no start. It's like the battery is completely dead but it's not since all my lights and stereo are working just fine..

Muckman

Not a M0derator
Then its either ignition switch or the starter solenoid.

When this happens disconnect the wire off the starter solenoid and put a volt meter on it. Have a friend turn the ignition to start, the solenoid wire should see 12v,

If it doesnt see 12v then the problem is further upstream - ie ignition switch
If it does see 12v then the problem is the starter (again)

janathan15

so if I had the no crank/no start condition and tested the wire connected to the solenoid and it didn't produce 12v (it was 11.6), then my problem is with the ignition switch? just want to verify before i go out and buy the part