No heat?

So Breazy

Hey guys. So a few days ago I started up my teg for the first time in a while. I wanted to see how well the heater worked, so I cranked it up all the way. It only got semi warm so I figured I'd let it run for a while. I waited about 10 minutes and it only stayed semi warm. Now winters coming up (edmonton winters can go to about -40C) so I was wondering what I would do to fix this problem? I dont want to be a popsicle when I'm driving :(

Cman46290

1st... simply make sure you are full on coolant. If you already are... then its time to diagnose further.

Does the needle on the temp guage go up to almost the middle?

And as said above... the heater control valve is connected to a heaterhose near the firewall closer to the passenger side... make sure its fully open.....allowing coolant to run into your heater core.

Another thing... i had to get down under the passenger side dash in my del sol... and move the blend doors manually to allow warm air to come in.. because the cable was broken....

Cman46290

another possibility is that the thermostat is stuck open???
Thats why i asked if the temp kneedle got to normal operating temp---about half way to hot...

Because if the thermostat is stuck open.. the car will never get the chance to heat all the way up to operating temp... and no heat could come from that... yes....

NorthEndGhost

Thats why i asked if the temp kneedle got to normal operating temp---about half way to hot...

Because if the thermostat is stuck open.. the car will never get the chance to heat all the way up to operating temp... and no heat could come from that... yes....
i see said the blind man...:)

Prozon

Kris
Yes, well I noticed that idling the car never gets very hot. Take it down the road then see.
(Also where the temperature needle is at would help.)

So Breazy

I let the car run for a bit, but the temp needle doesn't move at all. Somebody want to explain in simple terms how to check the heater control valve (specific location, and what exactly to do). Also, how to check the thermometer or whatever it is you guys are talking about >.<

Cman46290

Well the thermostat is located on the engine block.... if you follow your lower radistor hose to where it connects to the engine... and pulle the hose off the engine.... the thermostat is located there... you gotta unscrew the housing and then remove the thermostat.

The heater control valve... picture standing directly in front of your car... facing it with the hood popped. It should be located basically all the way against the firewall.... to the left of the center of the vehicle(so more towards the passenger side)... it will lok like a black hose that a black valve on it.... you can turn it open or closed.

p.s. if the temp kneedle doesnt move... its prolly the thermostat

mjones73

Check the other things first to be safe.

Basically to change the thermo, follow the lower radiator hose up to where it meets the motor, put something under the car to catch the antifreeze that's gonna come out, loosen the clamp and remove the hose, remove the two 10mm bolts out of the housing you just took the hose off and remove the housing from the motor. You'll find the thermo behind it, pay attention to which way it's facing. Clean the mating surfaces of any dirt or gasket material, put a new thermo in facing the same direction, bolt the housing up with a new gasket and put the hose back on.

While you're at it, you should consider replacing the hoses too. If you decide to, you can get the old hoses off easier by cutting them with a razor to make them easier to slide off. Replacing them is pretty self explanatory.

Once done, top off the radiator with the proper coolant water mixture, run the engine til it gets warm, check for leaks and re-check the coolant level once it cools off.

mjones73

Looks like I'm replacing mine too, it looks like it's got a lower temp thermo in it. My car normally was staying to the left of the temp symbol on the gauge, now that it's getting colder it barely comes off of C.