No start

blackteggy_92

Ok if there's a thread for this please let me kno, but If not any help would be appreciated. I have a 96 teg and the car will start sometimes and run for like acouple of days then it won't start,then like a day later it will start again. So i kno everything works cuz it will run good but then it wont turn on. I can hear the main relay click on and off when it try's to start but the fuel pump won't prime. I'm stuck, any help would be appreciated thanks

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
If your fuel pump won't prime on the days the car won't start, then the engine is not getting fuel. Check your fuel pump screen for debris, the connection going to the fuel pump, and even replacing the fuel pump.

blackteggy_92

Ok well I checked power to the fuel pump and I'm getting nothing, but when I put the key in the second position I can hear the main relay click and thts it

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
So you don't hear the fuel pump prime?
The pump should turn on and prime when the key is switched into the ACC position. How did you determine the pump gets no power?
If the fuel pump does not get power when the key is in this position then you probably have a bad connection, bad fuse, or broken wires somewhere.

To me it sounds like a bad fuel pump from the description in your 1st post

blackteggy_92

It had an alarm but the guy I bought it from took it out. Could tht be causing it? Like a loose wire or something not connected?

DC4GoFast

i have a car problem
If you have no power when you turn the key its probably your main relay. It should click 3 times when you turn the key to the on position. If it doesn't, its your main relay. Its a common problem on our cars the soldered contacts break from heat and age. You can buy them on eBay.

Merlins Beard

*Beard not included
An immobilizer comes built into the 00-01 models of the cars, and some aftermarket alarm systems come with one. They will cut off power to the fuel pump if they are not deactivated by using the correct key for the car, or disarming the alarm system. The aftermarket alarm systems can sometimes be a huge wiring nightmare, so having one that was removed could be some bad wiring.

TheIVJackal

Freedom through Jesus
So to be clear, the reason you car isn't turning on is because you don't always get power to the fuel pump correct? If you turn the car off and on a bunch of times until you hear the fuel pump prime, does it work then? Main Relay does give power to the fuel-pump. Apparently the ground for the main-relay is near the thermostat housing, check connections there.
- Aaron