noob intake question

P3DR0

<~JDM~>
went to auto zone today and saw a universal intake for 40$ and the spectre filter for 25 dollars
its on my budget and i have been wanting an intake
any experiences?
or alternatives?

h22ateggy

G-ZrrrrMobin
went to auto zone today and saw a universal intake for 40$ and the spectre filter for 25 dollars
its on my budget and i have been wanting an intake
any experiences?
or alternatives?
imo thats something i wud not do if i were u just save couple bucks more and get ur self a gud aem one u wont regret it :thumbs up

DB7xsjado

Old Skool
for the most part an intake is just an intake...sure the name brands will be better quality, but as far as performance the difference is minimal

Slo_Teggy

Slow Driver
Short ram takes air from the engine and cold air takes it from the wheel well, basically. You'll need something to prevent water from getting in the engine if you have a cold air. I just woke up so I can't think of the name, maybe you guys can help me out here.

Don't buy something that you're just going to replace with something else. I've done that and learned my lesson. Thinking "oh, it's cheaper so it must be better". Boy was I wrong. Intakes aren't THAT important though. Sure you need them but it doesn't have to be the best of the best. A good filter (K&N) is more important then good piping (AEM).

TheSylntChamber said it best.

JackJack

i have a k&n cold air intake

and if im correct the thing to prevent the water to enter is a bypass valve

NeroCB7

Honda Lover
K&N typhoon intakes are good aem polished intakes just have a sticker K&N has it stamped if you dont want cops to talk shit get CARB legal other than that its your choice you can custom make one from autozone or get the cheap ebay stuff or go for the AEM,K&N,or fujita intake and FYI if you live in a really humid place id stay away from those autozone spectre filters they rust in time.

Dumpie1

Lower is better
With a short ram intake, you wont need a bypass because it doesn't go that far down. With a traditional cold air intake it goes down close to the wheels, in some rare cases I seen cars with their filters sticking out from the side...But it all depends on which route you wanna go and how much u wanna spend...

Samurai_Blue

Yolo Whippin'
for the most part an intake is just an intake...sure the name brands will be better quality, but as far as performance the difference is minimal
this is why most builds do not make much power. The intake system is increradibly important while building a motor. Yeah, on a stock motor its pointless....unless you actually use that added throttle response

Boy was I wrong. Intakes aren't THAT important though. Sure you need them but it doesn't have to be the best of the best. A good filter (K&N) is more important then good piping (AEM).
you need an intake. You need a good intake. Piping is AS important as the filter. Piping may be more important than the filter in some aspects. If you have a shitty bent tube air isnt going to get to your IM even if you have a kn filter.

THIS